We’re looking for Work Crew Site Supervisor / Team Leader to help us live our mission to prepare people with recent criminal convictions for securing employment each year.
Work Crew Site Supervisors support, supervise, and train work crews of 5-10 individuals, creating an uplifting work environment that ensures team member safety, providing on-the-job coaching, encouraging and empowering team members to seize each opportunity for building knowledge and skills, and balancing engagement and accountability across the crew.
This role is perfect for you if you enjoy a non-traditional workspace, like being on your feet, and love being outdoors. Ideally, you have experience teaching, coaching, mentoring or motivating youth or groups of adults as we know you’ll be able to make a real impact in our participants’ lives. You’ll help create greater stability for our participants as they get back on their feet.
Please note: Work Crew Site Supervisor work hours are typically 7:00AM-3:30PM (M-F) with the work conducted outside in all weather conditions. Weekly overtime is built into the role.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, and Rockefeller Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually
Who You Are
- You have strong organizational skills and can delegate, prioritize, and manage your team’s time effectively to meet project deadlines; you operate under pressure with ease
- You pride yourself in your ability to communicate and resolve conflicts effectively with individuals of varying backgrounds and experiences
- You recognize the value of continuous communication, looping others into project status and any arising challenges
- You have a proven track record of leading teams to achieve success
- You enjoy supporting others to solve routine challenges; personally you’re mechanically inclined, able to diagnose issues with equipment and propose solutions to solve/address
- You’re deeply passionate about and committed to social justice
- You’re respectful, fair, and patient
- You believe in hard work, efficient and friendly customer service, and teamwork and collaboration to drive results
- You exercise compassion toward the team you’re leading and balance this with a straightforward approach that ensures you meet the needs of your customers
- You foster strong team spirit and enjoy providing 1:1 support to team members who may need a little extra encouragement
- You are comfortable driving throughout the Fresno area
The Nitty Gritty Qualifications
- High school diploma, along with at least one year of supervisory experience; experience within a vocational trade (construction, landscaping, building maintenance, grounds maintenance, land surveying) preferred but not required
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Must be able to: Consistently lift and move objects up to 75 pounds; stand, kneel, bend, and climb in order to complete projects; work outdoors; walk or stand for long periods of time; drive a 12 passenger van with an attached trailer; operate a smartphone
- Previous safety training preferable, though training will be provided to hired candidate
Key responsibilities of the Work Crew Site Supervisor include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring customers’ work orders are completed to a high standard on a daily basis
- Establishing and maintaining positive staff morale through modeling sound leadership and teamwork
- Assigning job duties to crew members and setting reasonable goals for completion
- Monitoring crew members on job performance and productivity, providing appropriate feedback and/or additional training as needed
- Maintaining line of sight of all participants
- Maintaining a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations and by reporting any matters that threaten the smooth operation of the training crew to your supervisor
- Completing any necessary daily reporting tasks
- Special projects and related duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation for this position is $22/hour with possibility of accumulating over time occasionally.
We recognize that salary is a part of the overall compensation package and are happy to provide a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, professional development opportunities and training, including regular training opportunities in Motivational Interviewing (MI). MI is one evidence-based skill that reentry and human service professionals can utilize when supporting participants to achieve their goals.
We also offer paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We are a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
The Center for Employment Opportunities believes that everyone deserves the chance to shape a stronger future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Our commitment to being an anti-racism organization that is inclusive across all identities and experiences drives us forward every day. We exist to create greater opportunities for people who face multiple barriers to personal and professional success, and we’re passionate about being agents of change who promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and access to opportunities for all.
People who are justice involved, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+ , and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.