Censys ingests millions of certificates and billions of network handshakes daily, and exposes this data to customers to help them secure their organization by understanding their network attack surface. We’re a true startup with midwestern roots and brilliant academia-backed founding team. We’re looking for high-energy, action-oriented people who are interested in helping build a product and culture that we’re proud of for years to come.
We’re looking for an Engineering Operations Manager to join our team. This position will be lead a diverse group of SREs, SDETs, and technical writers. This group is core to success of all Censys products and needs strong leadership to ensure they effective and supported by the rest of the org. This is not an entry level position, we need someone that can hit the ground running and work closely with our team. All of our team members are technically strong and do not require someone to solve their technical problems. They do require a manager that will push them to self-organize, to grow technically, to grow professionally, and to be there to help them remove roadblocks. Managers at Censys understand that only by trying to distribute responsibility and obsolete ourselves do we actually empower our teams and gain enough time that we can effectively identify new opportunities to improve the organization.
We expect all of our employees to consider customer happiness as our primary goal and a willingness to come to work everyday with a great attitude, both eager to learn and educate, which helps to make us a better organization every day.
This job is a good fit if you:
- Find the most reward in managing, developing, and building a team of developers and find balance between that and the administrative & strategic responsibilities of leadership.
- Have remained technically relevant but are an effective engineering manager without having to write code.
- Are passionate about helping our team members grow through feedback, coaching, and delegation (this is distributing responsibility, not just assigning work).
- Understand that great cultures attract great people and you are willing to work relentlessly to help us improve our culture.
- Have experience dealing with the stress that comes with being on Engineering Operations teams (on-call, outages, etc).
- You are more interested in growing employees to solve our hardest problems vs solving them yourself.
- You are willing to manage across disciplines and support multiple teams to ensure work gets done on time and with high quality.
This job is not a good fit if you:
- Think management sits between engineering and the business.
- Think operations and development are non-overlapping skill sets.
- Think engineering’s job is done after the code is written.
- You aren’t comfortable being on-call.
- You are more motivated by technology than solving customer problems.
What you will bring:
- BS, preferably in the field of CS
- 3+ years experience in leading a team of software developers
- 5+ years experience in software engineering
- Experience leading teams with a history of delivering and supporting high quality SaaS applications.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and you can communicate about both strategic and technical issues to cross-functional audiences.
- History of scaling team productivity through delegation.
- You are a force multiplier to your team by providing them with effective professional development plans.
- Full understanding of the SDLC and how to hold teammates accountable for delivering quality customer experiences.
What you will do:
- Understand the mission of the business and how your team fits into the bigger picture.
- Work with engineering and customer support teams to advocate and advance user experience.
- Set and maintain a high bar for hiring new talent.
- Continually inspect our process and culture looking for areas to improve.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects, including everything from research to design through development and on-time delivery of product releases to customers.
- Work closely with the Product Management team to ensure we're building the best products.
- Be the bias towards action in the room. It's easy to get lost in trying to build the perfect system, tackle too much at once, or fall back into waterfall style habits. You will continually show co-workers that staying customer focused and iterative will lead to best results.
- Be responsible for the quality of your team's work.
- Be ready to jump into the on-call rotation and iterate upon it to facilitate sustainability.
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Censys is an equal opportunity employer.