The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
At Carta, we’re building the future of equity and ownership. We’ve changed how companies, investors, and employees manage equity.
Our legal team works cross-functionally to help achieve Carta’s overall mission of building the future of equity ownership. Like the rest of Carta, we are committed to working collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We are committed to excellence in our work, a growth mindset and continuous improvement, and developing a deep understanding of our products and services as well as the broader business context in which our clients operate so that we can deliver innovative and creative legal solutions. We require a strong bias to action and for driving results, and are responsible for supporting all teams across the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while protecting Carta’s core values and interests.
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel who can help the Carta legal team provide cutting edge legal advice to cross-functional teams on mergers and acquisitions, business partnerships, and strategic initiatives. Above all, we are looking for a team member who will partner with other groups to help them navigate through challenging issues, and bring a business-oriented, pragmatic mindset to solving legal, regulatory and commercial problems in a fast-scaling company.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Under the supervision of the Carta’s Deputy General Counsel, Business and Strategy, you will:
- Partner with our Strategy team on M&A transactions, corporate development projects (such as Carta Ventures) and complex strategic initiatives.
- Manage complex and sensitive cross-functional projects with our Finance team, People team and other teams as needed.
- Help business leaders make smart decisions by issue spotting and utilizing legal experience and expertise to bear on the complicated problems we are trying to solve
- Partner with cross-functional legal experts and internal stakeholders to execute transactions, including managing deal processes, performing due diligence, negotiating definitive documentation, assisting on regulatory filings, closing deals, leading legal integration and supporting legal entity formation.
- Review, negotiate and draft a wide range of commercial agreements, including partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, investment agreements, and purchase, sale and transition (M&A) agreements.
- Develop, improve and maintain playbooks and knowledge bases for strategic transactions.
- Support post-closing integration.
- Coordinate and manage outside counsel.
- Provide support as needed to the other members of the Carta legal team.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) and a membership in one state bar (New York or California Bar membership preferred).
- A minimum of 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney at a leading law firm and as in-house counsel.
- Strong understanding of software technology and cloud services, associated business models, and technology industry trends.
- Knowledge of financial services regulations, related M&A trends and business practices.
- Must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard, have a solution mindset and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through, and meet tight deadlines.
- A commitment to provide high quality client service and a strong desire to build trusted advisor relationships with key clients and executives.
- Ability to distill complex legal concepts into simple, actionable recommendations.
- Ability to manage and handle sensitive and confidential information with the highest levels of integrity, ethical standards, discretion and sound judgment.
- High level of integrity, attention to detail and excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Team player, able to collaborate across various teams and levels and form strong working relationships with colleagues and counterparties in a fast-paced work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.