The Company You’ll Join
At Carta, we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they've managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
We are a diverse team of 15 individuals with big goals that were conceived in early 2020. Within a year, we've built a million-dollar business, and in 2021 we want to scale it to $5 million. The scope and impact of each individual are immense. We are biased toward action and believe in the mantra of build -> measure -> learn.
On the team, you'll collaborate closely with our product manager and designer to understand the motivation (why) behind a customer want, define the scope of work (what), and build a solution (how) with your engineering peers to deliver the desired customer value.
Our team is diverse in multiple axes: gender, nationality, technical specialization, and other quirks — this our strength. In such an environment, trust and humility are of utmost importance.
Our development philosophy closely mirrors Agile Scrum, but we are not afraid to deviate from it. We care about solving customer problems first and engineering problems second.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As an Engineering Manager in Private Equity-LLC, you’ll execute in one of the most dynamic roles Carta engineering has to offer. You'll help set the charter of the team, execute against that charter with the team, all while guiding the career development of your direct reports.
Here’s a few examples of the problems you’ll be asked to solve:
- People: Carta has a great team today. We’re growing, and that means hiring. You will work with other engineering leaders in the LLC team to discover, interview, and recruit great team members and build them up into the next all star player.
- Assess technical risk: Your experience will be a major factor in empowering your team to isolate, and reduce, technical risk. You will fill blind spots for your engineers, helping form the critical bridge between business, product, and engineering.
- Drive accountability: Building more owners is as much of a Carta product problem, as it is part of a manager’s responsibilities. You will work with stakeholders to better understand the needs of the business, and with your team to create realistic expectations for project success.
- Establish best practices: Engineering managers are the last line of defense for quality control, best practices and effective design strategies. Helping your team, and peer teams, navigate these challenges is core to the problem space for managers.
- Improve performance: Your team is a reflection of you, your values, and your support. Your team will need regular mentorship, advice and feedback to operate effectively. Contributing to this space along with your leadership team, is part of effective management at Carta.
- Expand collaboration: Business unit organizational models benefit from speed and autonomy, but absorb known trade-offs in company-wide collaboration. Engineering managers are the hedge against that trade-off, bringing teams and engineers across Carta together.
You’re a strong people manager with 4+ years of experience leading high performing engineering teams and 5+ years of experience as a full stack or backend engineer. You’re excited by the idea of developing scalable production quality systems and working on projects end-to-end. Our stack is Java Spring, React, gRPC, Docker, k8s. This experience is appreciated though not required.
Here is what inspires us about you:
- You care deeply about software and the leverage that software brings. You can use your past experience building software to show your team the way in which they can improve our customer’s leverage.
- You are energized by, and capable of, super-charging the careers of those that report to you. You’ve been able to help mentor more junior engineers, and support more senior engineers in reaching their potential.
- You’ve expanded the worldview of your teams, celebrated diversity of thought and background, and tied it all back through successful product launches in your past.
- You recognize the power of ownership, and have lived examples of where ownership played central roles in your career- through software and through business.
- You are willing and capable of getting in the trenches alongside your fellow engineers and reports. You lead by example, and take pride in your work.
- You are exceptionally technical. You can describe complex ideas simply. You are just as capable working toward a long term road map as you are jumping into a fire to solve a customer’s problem 5 minutes from now.
- You are as hungry to learn about our customers and business as you are about the latest stack or Docker release.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.