At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Site Reliability Team at Carta is responsible for ensuring high uptime of the Carta app and other production systems in various environments. The team has expertise in systems architecture and design and infrastructure automation using Terraform, Ansible, and Kubernetes orchestration. In addition, the SRE team collaborates closely with the InfoSec team on defining secure network boundaries and implementing security policies.
The Problems You’ll Solve
- Develop a comprehensive data architecture strategy covering core financial services and roadmap to provide a more efficient data model for a multi-region implementation.
- Establish data standards in terms of caching, persistence technology selection, High Availability design in multi-region AWS deployments.
- Partner with Data Science and Engineering teams across the organization to develop a roadmap for database modernization and scalability.
- Identify gaps in the existing architecture and develop solutions that would address our unique set of challenges.
- Provide strategic guidance to Data Science and Engineering teams to facilitate best. practices around data consumption and usage patterns, and enforcing published db architecture standards.
- Establish best practices operating principles for optimized usage of db transactions and collaborate with stakeholders responsible for adopting the future state of the db.
- Devise an end-to-end mapping of how data flows through application components.
- Formulate and implement an effective db monitoring strategy that refines and reports on the performance of data layer and efficient use of caching sub-systems.
- Work with Product Managers to understand objectives and effectively design tables, procedures, views, schema, functions etc, to effectively support applications, improve and assist in data migration releases.
You will be part of a cross functional team of engineers and product managers, and successful candidates will have extremely high EQ and IQ, with a strong bias towards collaboration. We’re optimizing for strong senior engineers who are excited about the opportunities to work with a fast moving team, as well as previous experience working with:
- 10+ Years of database design, architecture and administration of Postgresql, MySQL and other relational database technologies.
- Proficient in developing data model, schema design and data management with multi TB size databases.
- Proficient in sql scripting, hands-on experience in designing distributed transactional databases for microservices running in Kubernetes.
- Backend architecture experience with Python & Django REST framework.
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the aptitude to prioritize and drive work forward for improved scalability and efficiency.
- In-depth hands-on experience working with complex financial databases storing 1B+ rows and handling transactions in a large scale distributed systems.
- Hands-on experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, broader AWS stack - RDS, Redshift, Athena, SNS, SQS, Kinesis, EC2, S3, streaming data solutions.
- Robust operational foundation on managing a multi-region HA database in addition to a strategic thinker in a broad scope, from conception through a continuous operation.
- Proven track record in leading large-scale HA database setup in AWS end to end
The Impact You'll Have
You can expect significant impact and wide-ranging responsibilities - you will have hands-on experience working together with data engineering, application engineers and product managers. Database scaling, HA and failover automation you build will enable our engineers and product managers to augment powerful financial transactional features to our core platform offering. You would be expected to create and manage large scale, highly-available Postgres databases over 1TB in multi AWS regions with kafka integration and providing Data Warehouse capabilities using Athena, Redshift and integrating with other AWS data streaming services.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.