Capella is at the forefront of making vital information about our world accessible in a timely manner. We’re leveraging proven technologies and building new capabilities to create a constellation of SAR satellites that can collect information about any spot on the planet within an hour.
At Capella you’ll work in a collaborative team environment, alongside smart people with a history of space mission success. No prior space experience is needed—we’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success.
Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it, regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
We value diversity at Capella and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
About the Role:
Capella Space is looking for an experienced software engineer to lead our embedded software team. We're looking for somebody who has familiarity with the challenges and constraints of software that will run on hardware in a hard real-time, high-reliability environment, but also someone who has experience with providing technical leadership and people management for a team.
This role will require close collaboration with all the developers to ensure a reasonable schedule and prioritization of all tasks, driven by frequent feedback from other teams to ensure software deliveries and timetables match the company needs. In addition, we're looking for someone that listens to the career aspirations of each team member and helps enable the achievement of those goals. There is also an expectation that the candidate will provide technical leadership to the team in the form of design reviews, code reviews, and when possible, individual contributions.
The position is available in San Francisco, CA or Louisville, CO.
- Strong ability to develop a design through all software life-cycles including initial part selection and architectural trade-offs, preliminary and detailed design, implementation, integration, and test.
- Past team leadership and mentoring experience.
- Experience working with embedded systems - both hardware and software, including low-level drivers.
- Hands-on experience developing, programming, testing, and debugging hard real-time software.
- Strong knowledge of programming compiled (C, C++) and scripted (Python, shell script, etc.) languages.
- Experience writing software for microcontrollers and other embedded systems, e.g., Xilinx Zynq SoCs.
- Familiarity with software configuration management.
- Hands-on experience with lab equipment and electronics hardware, e.g., oscilloscopes, logic analyzers.
Desired Qualifications (Not All Are Expected):
Familiarity with embedded Linux, Linux kernel modules, and standard Linux tools.
In addition to an opportunity to take part in an innovative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation:
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible vacation policy
- Gourmet-style, daily lunch
- Weekly Capella community events
- Commuter benefits including Transit Flex Spending and baywheels membership
- Dog-friendly work environment (SF)