Canvas is the #1 Diversity Recruitment Platform (DRP). It’s the new way to hire diverse teams with confidence and gain full transparency into the diversity of applicants in your hiring process. Startups to Fortune 500 companies are using Canvas to understand the diversity of their recruiting pipeline, source underrepresented talent, run engaging virtual events, enhance employer brand, and measure the ROI of their diversity recruiting initiatives.
We’re backed by Sequoia and recently closed $20 million in funding. We’re also a remote-first company (US based only at this time) and no matter where you sit, you’re a part of our Canvas.
Our team is composed of people from every background and experience. We’re MLK Scholars, high school dropouts, former artists, veterans and working parents. We’re a passionate team of learners and doers with a bias for action. We encourage each other to remember and exercise our individual “why” in service to our mission.
You will join the Engineering team at Canvas as the first full-time Automation Engineer / Software Development Engineer - Test. The Engineering team is a rapidly growing team of experienced Engineers who are all passionate about our mission and vision: to make the world more equitable by building the world’s leading diversity recruiting platform. You will be responsible for broadly increasing the overall quality of the product using predominantly automated test techniques and tools. You will report to the Vice President of Engineering and work closely with cross-functional teams, mostly within and across all of Engineering, Product, and Design. While quality is a shared responsibility across all of Engineering, you will be ultimately responsible for overall quality metrics. We build and deploy multiple times per day and you will enable those deployments to increase in quality and stability and to decrease issues found in production.
This mission-critical role is best suited for a candidate who embodies all of our values:
Dream Big: Regardless of role or team, you think and act like a founder by imagining the impossible.
Open Doors: You make sure there is always a door for everyone to walk through; whether that’s being gracious or knocking down barriers for others—you make space for those who need it.
Be a Student: You always have a growth mindset because you know that trusting, respecting and listening to others is essential to our individual and collective success. You approach situations with curiosity over judgement—we only fail when we stop learning and asking questions.
Walk the Walk: Follow-through is what transforms promises into progress. You do not pay lip service to our mission or others—you execute.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for overall quality of all Canvas products
- Own and drive the overall test automation strategy and success for the company
- Recommend and implement appropriate tooling to support software QA automation
- Enable transparency into software quality by exposing and improving software quality metrics such as code coverage, automation execution speed, and production bugs reported
- Develop, execute and maintain all integration test suites
- Own and maintain the test automation portion of the continuous integration deployment pipeline to support high-quality software release management
- Participate in ongoing sprint functions with all teams to ensure automation stays up to date with product changes
- Grow the existing functional test suite to significantly more functional coverage
- Add non-functional tests to the automated test suite to identify non-functional issues earlier in the software development life cycle
- Participate in the on-call process to ensure that when issues are found there are automated tests to protect against those issues in the future
What To Bring
- 4+ years of experience in software quality assurance automation engineering
- 4+ years of experience with software automation tools like Cypress, Selenium, etc.
- Thorough understanding of QA concepts and quality standards for products and processes
- Experience writing and maintaining automating tests against REST APIs (our stack is Django, Python, PostgreSQL on RDS)
- Experience writing and maintaining data preparation scripts to ensure automated tests always have clean data when running
- Demonstrable programming skills in at least one programming language
- The need for speed - we move fast and need to move faster
- Experience with non-functional testing tools such as JMeter, Forecast and Loadrunner is a plus
- Experience in designing and launching automation frameworks from scratch is a plus
- Experience with Datadog synthetic tests is a plus
- Experience with SQL and Postgres is a plus
- Strong focus and orientation on communication, documentation, and transparency
We’d love to set you up for success and are offering resources emphasizing your personal well being!
- Medical, dental, vision insurance: 99% coverage for you and your dependents
- 401(k) plan and we match 3% of your salary (regardless if you contribute or not)
- Unlimited paid-time off
- Flexible parental leave
- $500 work from home stipend
- $75/week reimbursement for your meals or groceries
- Quarterly wellness days off with a $125 quarterly wellness stipend