We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. Calm is passionate about helping people take care of their minds and we believe that Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
- Improving Concentration and Awareness
- Reducing Anxiety
- Improving Memory and Creativity
- Higher EQ
- Increasing Happiness
- Getting Better Sleep
Calm is the #1 consumer brand for digital health, with over 90 million downloads (100K new per day). We weren named Apple’s App of the Year and the world’s first mental health unicorn. Inc. 5000 cited Calm as the 19th Fastest Growing Private Company in America and we were voted the ‘World’s Happiest App’ by the Center for Humane Technology.
Check out the Calm Careers Page to learn more about the mission, our values, and hear personal stories from our employees.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
As a member of our team, you will be an integral part in building a world-class security and compliance team that empowers the business by instilling trust in Calm from our customers and partners. We are a team of pragmatic technologists that place securing our customers’, partners’, and organization’s data at the forethought of our decision making while valuing a can-do attitude, collaboration, learning, and curiosity.
About the Role:
To be the voice of Risk and Compliance on our world-class Security & Compliance engineering team who work across the Calm organization to define, coordinate, and implement Calm’s security and compliance strategy to support Calm’s product today and accelerate the speed that we build Calm’s tomorrow. You’ll be involved from company strategy to implementing, scaling, and maintaining compliance frameworks. You have a background in security and understand security is both a marathon, not a sprint, and a business enabler, not a blocker. We want you to bring your compliance mindset with you, as you work cross-functionally across the business to ensure we understand and meet our security and compliance goals.
- Compliance lead
- Identify and help solve the open questions in our approach to HIPAA compliance, in addition to evaluating and implementing future frameworks (e.g. ISO 27001)
- Partner with legal, policy, and engineering stakeholders to create and enhance policies to support Calm’s compliance program
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to get aligned with company-wide goals, and then use this context to prioritize compliance initiatives appropriately
- Lead external audits performed by both third-party auditors, customers’, and partners’.
- Assist in establishing a vendor-risk process to support the implementation of new technologies and tools across the organization.
- Deep understanding of cloud concepts and their relation to HIPAA, SOC 2, and ISO 27001.
- Understanding of how to navigate an organization to implement the necessary controls and gather audit artifacts to ensure compliance is achieved and maintained.
- Ability to present technical findings and their business impacts to key stakeholders.
- Growth mindset: receives feedback easily and incorporates it quickly
- Pragmatic: balance scrappiness and rigor
- Great technical communicator
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong product and architectural instincts
- Startup experience
- Big 4 or external audit experience
- Competitive salary and equity
- “Take the time you need” approach to time off
- Coverage for medical, dental, & vision insurance plans
- Home office stipend
- Supportive wellbeing benefits including our EAP support, and monthly wellbeing reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Remote-first environment that allows you to work flexibly from many locations
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.