📣 A bit about the role.
We're looking for a Product Innovation Manager to join our fast-growing Proposition, Innovation & Insights team who can have a real impact on the future of pet food by creating best-in-class products to keep dogs happy and healthy. We're the highest rated pet brand in the UK by customers, and we're growing rapidly. You'll have the opportunity to influence an ambitious product innovation pipeline, take a leading role in conceptualising market-leading pet products, and shape how we do innovation at Butternut to keep us constantly striving for better. We already have a broad range of fresh meals with several more on the way, are steadily growing our range of complementary products too, and we're just scratching the surface.
As Europe's leading fresh pet food manufacturer, we're at the forefront of a growing category created to improve the health and happiness of dogs, with products that taste great and do good. We'd like to meet candidates who instinctively put the customer at the heart of decision-making, are passionate about the future of pet wellbeing, and get excited by the opportunity to work in a fast-growing technology start-up.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Developing concepts for best-in-class products for dogs that excite customers and align with our innovation roadmap, working collaboratively with NPD, Procurement, Insights etc.
- Leading the customer testing of new products whether digitally or with physical concepts; working with the Insights team to determine the best approach, defining measures of success, delivering the insights, etc.
- Creating compelling, customer-led briefs for our Brand team to bring new products to life through great product marketing and design, as well as for changes to our existing ranges
- Acting as the commercial lead on innovation projects; determining the selling price through customer & competitor research, forecasting sales, understanding if capital investment is required, benchmarking, etc.
- Acting as the 'customer champion' on innovation projects; ensuring we're staying true to the opportunity identified so that it doesn't get 'watered down', and supporting in-project decision-making
- Supporting customer-facing teams (Marketing, Sales, Customer Service) in defining the go-to-market approach for new product launches, campaigns, and training the team on new products
- Understanding the performance (customer, commercial, operational) of our complementary product ranges and fresh meals, and proposing range extensions, improvements, reductions and re-positioning, to keep us striving for better
- Influence an ambitious long-term innovation strategy and pipeline that will set us apart from our competitors
- Scanning the market for new innovation opportunities and bringing new and exciting ideas to the business, including attending events, innovation tours, product reviews sessions, customer focus groups, etc.
- Taking a lead on identifying ways to improve our approach to innovation at Butternut to deliver new products more quickly and efficiently, whilst always keeping us customer-led
👋 A bit about you.
- Passionate customer champion who believes doing the right thing for the customer will lead to long-term value for the business
- 5+ years relevant experience such as working in consumer innovation, market research, or a relevant consultancy or agency (experience working within the pet care sector is a strong plus but not essential)
- Strong communicator and facilitator who has the ability to manage a variety of stakeholders
- Willingness to take ownership and accountability for the commercial success of highly visible new product launches
- Experience being involved in insights processes such as depth customer interviews or focus groups, and quantitative research
- Creative thinker who understands and is passionate about the process of getting to a good idea (a basic understanding of design thinking principles is a plus)
- Strong commercial acumen to ensure that we're making the right trade-offs on projects and across our roadmap, and that we deliver value to the business with each new product launch
- Share our belief that dogs deserve better!
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Friday drinks and monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no closing date for this role. However, we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.