📣 A bit about the role.
As part of leading the Data team within the Software Engineering team, you will report into the Head of Engineering. You will be responsible for:
- Managing, leading, and growing a team of data analysts that serve as the 'hub' within a 'hub' and 'spoke' data team model, who help deliver the foundational underlying data structures and analysis that further analysis is built on.
- Helping guide both the 'hub' team and the 'spokes' on data best practices, setting standards across the company, and helping develop the skills and abilities of 'spokes' through mentorship.
- Helping define our data analysis, data engineering, and data science roadmaps and strategies, and then work with the team to deliver them.
- Enabling more self-serve analytics by driving a data strategy that empowers as many people across the business as possible to build their own reports in Looker.
- Serve as the product owner for the data engineering team, working with product management and engineering teams to coordinate new feature deployment that might impact existing data engineering pipelines and data analysis queries. Help contribute to the design of new features to help optimise them for future analysis.
🕵🏽♀️ Who we are looking for...
We're looking for a Head of Data to lead and grow our Data team. You'll help us with the following challenges:
- Building confidence in reporting at Butternut by championing systems to improve integrity and reliability.
- Enable more people across Butternut to build their own analysis by helping drive forward a self-serve approach to analytics.
- Scale the data team and help analysts here develop and grow.
Here are some of the projects the team have worked on recently:
- Enabling a smooth international expansion by ensuring our data systems are adapted to support multiple currencies and countries.
- Launching a testing framework for proactive alerting of integrity issues with our data.
- Launching Looker as a BI tool.
You'll get to use a lot of exciting new cutting-edge data technology here at Butternut:
- DBT (SQL + Jinja)
- Github (Version Control and CI/CD)
👋 A bit about you.
- You have 4+ years of commercial experience in a Data role, with at least some of that being in a Senior/Head of role.
- You have experience leading teams to deliver analysis, projects, and best practices, and managing teams.
- You are deeply familiar with best practices in data analysis, data engineering, and data science.
- You have familiarity with ELT tools like DBT, and concepts like testing and data integrity, and bring an engineering mindset to data.
- Experience with BI tools, ideally Looker, Tableau or Periscope.
- Technical expertise regarding data models and database design development.
- Excellent SQL skills.
- Experience with version control and general software engineering philosophies.
- Strong reporting skills with the ability to collect, organise, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Passion for start-ups.
- Obsessed with dogs!
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box. We are on a mission to provide the best customer experience, feed more dogs and revolutionise an arcane industry using the latest technology. To do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition. That’s where you come in!
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service.
- £500 personal learning & development budget.
- Co-working office space.
- Butternut Box employee discount.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Pension with NEST.
- Flexible working hours and work from home options.
- Friday drinks and monthly team socials.
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more...)
- Weekly 'lunch & learns’.
- The ability to make a huge impact at a VC-backed startup.
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no closing date for this role. However, we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.