📣 A bit about the role.
You will be joining our fast-growing New Product Development team. They are all about bringing exciting new products to the market that our customers are barking out for. We have huge ambitions with our new product pipeline, and you will have the opportunity to truly innovate, not only within Butternut, but also the wider pet food industry. You will have freedom to develop first to market, game changing products in a fast paced and agile environment.
This is a vital and exciting role which will ensure we continue to fulfil our mission of providing health and happiness to dogs and their humans, all across the UK. This newly created opportunity will report into the Head of New Product Development and will have two direct reports.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Deliver amazing and innovative new products within your portfolio, on time, in quality and in budget, managing their critical development path with our internal and external stakeholders.
- Being hands on to manage trials, pre-production, launches and reviews
- Ensuring recipes adhere to relevant legislation e.g. FEDIAF and export requirements.
- Manage and maintain our formulation tool and develop our nutrient standards.
- Plan, organise and perform research with our vet team to develop and substantiate our meals.
- Be aware of published nutrition research and apply these findings to our products.
- Maintain and drive core range product superiority by proactively defining focus areas and leading the exploration of process and ingredients to create a step change in product performance.
- Visit Rudie’s Kitchen regularly, participate in the product panels and form strong, trusting relationships with our manufacturing team.
- Manage an up-to-date map of the complete meal competitor landscape, including product ranges, price points and messaging for strategising our pipeline
- Bring the latest food industry innovations to our existing portfolio and new products
👋 A bit about you.
- Degree in Animal Nutrition, Animal science, Food science or related discipline
- At least 5 years of experience in an applied nutrition and/or product development or an R&D role
- Knowledge of FEDIAF, animal nutrition (ideally canine) and nutrient requirements
- Experience in using formulation systems is advantageous
- Demonstrable ability to translate research into understandable and substantiated claims
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to dive right in and not only to bring ideas but to deliver on them too
- Solid excel skills and data analysis
- Strong organisation and planning skills
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays, plus an extra day for every year at Butternut)
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space at Huckletree West
- Butternut Box employee discount.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Friday drinks & monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, Imli, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no specific date this role will be live until but we normally experience a high volume of applications, so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so please do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We don’t use external recruitment agencies for assistance on roles.