Data Engineer – Core Management
Bridgewater Associates, LP
Bridgewater Associates is focused on understanding how the world works. By having the deepest possible understanding of the global economy and financial markets, and translating that understanding into great portfolios and strategic partnerships with institutional clients, we’ve built a distinct track record of success. We’ve done this for more than 40 years by having great people operate in a culture of radical truth and radical transparency. Today, we manage about $160 billion for approximately 350 of the largest and most sophisticated global institutional clients including public and corporate pension funds, university endowments, charitable foundations, supranational agencies, sovereign wealth funds, and central banks.
Core Management’s goal is to ensure management throughout Bridgewater is excellent (consistent with Bridgewater’s culture and Principles), both now and in perpetuity. The department is under the direct leadership of the office of the CEO and consists of some of the best managers within Bridgewater. Areas of focus include: systemizing management processes, creating the means to measure and track management (and managers’) performance across the organization, training and oversight of Bridgewater’s management/culture, and providing fungible resources to departments in need of management support and transformational leadership.
The Systemized Management Team, as part of the Core Management department, is responsible for designing and building systems to capture and compound on the best thinking from the most senior managers at Bridgewater. Our responsibilities range from ensuring Bridgewater’s culture is thriving and decisions are being made in an idea meritocratic way to systematically measuring and tracking management performance.
As a Data Engineer on Bridgewater’s Systemized Management Team, you will help us prototype and build out the bones of our next-generation management platform. Products backed by your systems and insights gleaned from your data will be deployed to a growing user-base of managers across the company and will literally help shape the future of Bridgewater.
The Data Engineer is responsible for building out the core systems and data of the systemized management platform. This includes but is not limited to pipeline design, data governance, security subsystems and enablement of research and frontend developers. You will own the goal of implementing and augmenting a stable, scalable and governed system that enables compoundable research of and end user interactivity with corporate performance management information.
The ideal candidate is therefore a strong abstract and critical thinker who is adept at visualizing and executing practical approaches to translate capabilities into fully operational systems. Agility, flexibility, and an ability to operate effectively in highly ambiguous spaces are key attributes. We’re looking for an “owner” who wants to shape and deliver this system over a multiyear timeframe.
- Prototyping, developing, industrializing, and maintaining systems at all levels of the stack and with a focus on backend systems
- Iterating with users, stakeholders, and engineers on all aspects of an application’s design and capabilities
- Collaboration with other team members to craft quality technical solutions in an open way
- Working with engineering leaders to design & implement scalable, resilient system architectures
- Minimum 3 years of backend development experience (Python & C# preferred)
- Minimum 4 years of database development experience (SQL preferred)
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent industry experience in advanced data engineering or system architecture
- Experience designing and implementing enterprise level systems, especially data pipelines strongly preferred
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritize multiple tasks, and execute reliably and efficiently
- Solid organizational and time management skills, plus attention to detail
- Expertise building cloud based (Azure preferred) as well as on premises systems
- Expertise with machine learning, data science, or a math & statistics background
- Expertise in Server Side and/or Client Application Engineering
- Exposure to DevOps: continuous integration, automated testing, cloud deployments, etc.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.