We’re seeking an experienced qualitative researcher with a background in edtech and/or STEM products. Reporting to the Associate Director of User Research, you will tackle a few essential projects for BrainPOP Science. The expected dates are June/July 2023 through November 2023. Daily work hours will align to typical Eastern time working hours.
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced researcher who is passionate about science education or interested in exploring the edtech space. Initiatives will support the science content roadmap and will likely include fieldwork.
In this role, you will
- Partner with cross-functional leaders
- Move the science research roadmap forward and help the team make evidence-based decisions
- Build understanding through community with participatory and embedded research practices
- Guide discussions that identify and prioritize key opportunities for research
- Plan and execute all stages of key research initiatives
- Collaborate with product manager to identify business opportunities and validate roadmap and feature development
- Communicate user-focused, actionable insights to your squad and other stakeholders at every step of the development cycle (from discovery to deploy)
- Document and track research insights so they can be referenced for future projects
- Prioritize projects with the User Research team and contribute to research roadmap development
- Build relationships with team members and stakeholders in product design, product management, analytics, and marketing
- Possible occasional local travel and field work in classroom setting
Who You Are
- You have at least 3 years of working in user research in edtech or a related field
- You have contributed research insights to the development of educational products for young people, and can provide examples
- You are comfortable owning and executing all tasks involved with usability and qualitative research (from recruiting to share-out)
- You develop and articulate a clear point of view that helps your squad prioritize research needs and product initiatives
- You're passionate and excited about participatory qualitative methods including co-design
- You're a skilled facilitator and are comfortable guiding groups with diverse perspectives
- You're comfortable drawing upon multiple sources of data (qualitative and quantitative) to deliver a deep, holistic view of our users
- You'll go to bat for your insights, adapting your communication for a variety of audiences
- You care deeply about people and are willing to examine and unpack bias as part of your process
Nice to Have
- A general awareness of current education policy and issues, particularly those impacting the edtech space
- An understanding of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Experience with project management platforms like JIRA and research tools like Dovetail and UserInterviews
BrainPOP is a hybrid work environment, allowing employees to self-select where they work–whether fully remote in approved states or in-office in our New York headquarters.
We are able to employ remotely out of the following approved hiring states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
The starting salary for this role is between $85,000.00 - $115,000.00, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards. Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
We believe that a diverse organization is a more effective organization. BrainPOP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.