Role: Director of Accounting
Reporting to: Senior Director of Finance
Location: New York, NY
What is Bilt?
Bilt Rewards is the first-ever rewards program that allows renters to earn points on rent and builds a path towards homeownership. With an alliance of the nation’s largest real estate owners, Bilt Rewards will enable renters in more than two million units across the country to earn points just by paying rent.
Bilt Rewards boasts one of the highest value rewards programs on the market today, including one-to-one point transfers for travel across over 100 major airlines and hotel partners; fitness classes at the country’s top boutique studios; limited-edition and exclusive collections of art and home decor through the Bilt Collection, and the ability to use points for rent credits or towards a future downpayment.
Bilt has also partnered with Mastercard to create the Bilt Mastercard - the first and only credit card that can be used to pay rent with no fees. In October 2022, Bilt announced a valuation of $1.5 billion following a $150 million growth round to advance our loyalty program and credit card for renters.
What’s the role?
As the Director of Accounting you will play a critical role on our broader Finance team and work closely with our senior leaders to own the design, implementation and execution of our control and accounting functions.
Bilt sits at the intersection of the fintech/payments and real estate industries and you will gain exposure to a wide variety of topics within each of those industries. Our business touches the real estate / rental market, payments, credit card, loyalty / rewards, mortgage and more. Bilt is a lean and fast growing company and you will have a significant level of responsibility and autonomy, working with team members across the organization.
In this role you will:
- Lead the month end close process and partner with Finance on reporting and analysis
- Develop, document and implement key accounting and control procedures
- Manage our AP, AR, payroll and other accounting operations alongside our external accounting partners
- Research accounting guidance, stay apprised of new accounting pronouncements, and partner with our external advisors to define technical accounting policies
- Engage with departments across Bilt to understand their functions and design the appropriate accounting support
- Serve as the internal expert on all accounting and control topics, interfacing directly with the senior leadership team and assisting with ad hoc projects
- Proactively identify gaps in reporting and reconciliation processes and design automated solutions to address
- Oversee tax accounting and filing procedures in partnership with external advisors
- Lead future audit engagements
- Manage the existing finance and accounting software stack and lead new implementations
- Prioritize across a list of projects and responsibilities to deliver optimal impact
In terms of qualifications, we’re seeking:
- 7+ years of experience in a combination of both public accounting/audit (preferably at a “Big 4” firm) and in-house corporate accounting/controllership
- Prior exposure to fintech, financial services, payments, or loyalty/rewards businesses is a plus
- Strong technical accounting foundation
- Active CPA license
- Experience leading and managing external partners
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel with experience across accounting software systems
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter with strong project management, prioritization skills, and hands-on execution ability - someone that can own projects fully end-to-end
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and spoken
Salary: 150-200K + Equity