We’re looking for a talented Machine Learning Lead to supercharge our work in this area. You will play a crucial part in accelerating our company’s growth, building your own team to execute a wide range of innovative and experimental ML (or AI, if you’d prefer) projects. These have the potential to generate significant intellectual, commercial and strategic breakthroughs for the company and our subscribers – and, ultimately, bring broader benefits to high-growth companies across the UK.
If this sounds interesting, then read on...
We’ve built an enormous, high-quality data set covering every ambitious, high growth company in the UK. We’ve done well in introducing ML to our platform so far and have some really interesting tech in place, from models enriching our existing data through to automation of various routine tasks. However, we're now looking to accelerate this hugely.
Half the opportunities we’re exploring are around further automating routine tasks. This doesn’t mean replacing humans with algorithms – we’re firm believers that ML can’t replace or replicate the quality and nuance that comes from our Data curators. But we can make their lives a lot easier and more pleasant – and, indeed, have to as we continue to scale our company coverage. From more intelligent scrapers through to auto-suggestion tools and ML-driven data quality checks, there’s a lot to get stuck into.
The remaining opportunities are around leveraging our data to provide a better platform for our subscribers. From building connection graphs that leverage personal networks to aid introductions, through to predictive models that allow subscribers to make better business and policy decisions, we’ve a long list of interesting problems to explore. Some of these are already proven concepts; others lie awaiting exploration.
We’ve managed to achieve a lot with very limited ML resources over the past few years. To accelerate this, we’re now looking for an exceptional Machine Learning Lead to join our existing ML Engineer, build out a full team and establish best practice for developing new and existing tech. You should be ready to take on the above array of exciting projects, building new processes and making technical decisions where needed.
Leading a growing team, your role will involve a mixture of hands-on ML/ ML ops and top-level strategy. More specifically you’ll be:
- Building, testing and deploying ML models across a variety of projects
- Making ML Ops decisions such as determining where models live and how they ‘fit in’ with what we’re doing already
- Building out the team – helping to decide who we hire and assisting in running interviews
- Working closely with our existing ML Engineer and new hires, providing line management and training to support personal and professional development
- Working closely with the CEO and lead developers to help determine which projects we address, the feasibility of various ideas and the order in which they should be executed
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious Machine Learning Lead who is eager to build out and take ownership of their own team, applying their ideas and expertise to drive both personal and commercial achievements.
There’s no ‘one size fits all’ with the profile that we’re looking for, but you should broadly meet the following criteria:
- Experience line managing a ML team/squad, including experience of hiring
- Hands on ML experience including both training & deploying of models and MLOps
- Experience using Python
- Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness as well as intellectual interest in ML
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Natural Language Processing
- Experience using AWS/Docker
- Experience working within a rapidly growing company
On the personal side, you will ideally be:
- Diplomatic: you are good at explaining the rationale behind your ideas/suggestions and consider the merits of different opinions when deciding on the best way forward
- Collaborative: you enjoy working within a close-knit team dynamic and with a variety of people on different projects
- Reactive and flexible: you don’t need a super streamlined process to motivate you and enjoy the fast-pace of a rapidly evolving company/team
- Strategic: you consider the commercial and practical implications of your ideas when developing long-term plans
- User focused: you’re happy to consider user feedback when developing your models & approach
- Friendly! You're excited by the chance to work in a super close-knit team.
As well as a lovely team & competitive salary, we put a lot of emphasis on our team’s wellbeing and development. As part of this, you’ll also get:
- Options: A stake in the company, so you can share in the growth you help create
- Wellbeing: Access to our coaches & counsellors if/when you need it
- Training: Structured onboarding, regular training & a personal learning and development budget
- Socials: Drinks in the office, company away days and regular virtual and in-person events
- Talks: An array of interesting speakers in the office
- Books: You can order any relevant books you like or come along to our book club evening
- Travel loans: Rail season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
We are the market-leader for tracking and understanding the most exciting companies in the UK. Through a combination of people power and machine learning, our platform provides an invaluable picture of the high-growth landscape, helping 20+ different industries invest in, understand, and partner with these exciting businesses.
From Government to wealth management, investment banks to recruiters, our platform offers a wealth of use cases - fuelling innovation, supporting policy making and connecting the right people together. We’ve grown quickly over the past few years and have exciting plans to continue on this path, including increasing our headcount by 30% in 2021, launching additional products that use our data and potentially expanding internationally.
Aside from the product, our key to our success is our wonderful team. Based in the heart of Nottingham, we’re a close-knit group with a range of individual interests and quirks - from bakers, to artists, to beer-brewers to gamers, everyone plays a part in helping to grow our business. We’re passionate about what we do, supportive of anyone who needs it and most importantly, have fun whilst doing it!
Ticking all the boxes? To apply, just submit the following:
- An updated CV
- A cover letter telling us why you want this role and what you like about Beauhurst specifically
- Answers to a couple of screening Qs below
Please note that applications with no cover letter or a generic cover letter will be automatically rejected.