Who We Are
Baton is seeking ambitious individuals who desire the autonomy and agility of a startup environment combined with the backing, power, reach, and stability of a highly respected logistics industry giant.
Baton is the Silicon Valley-based technology innovation lab for Ryder, a leading logistics company that owns 260k trucks and manages $7.4B of freight.
Prior to the September 2022 acquisition, Baton was a venture-backed start-up that operated a fleet of trucks and hung out at truck stops to truly understand the challenges at hand.
The Problem We’re Solving
Our mission is to eliminate supply chain waste by creating a digital platform that uses AI to improve how freight is planned.
There are 500 million hours wasted in trucking each year, over 3 billion gallons of fuel wasted per year from trucks idling, and 1 in 5 trucks on the road driving empty at any given point. This has a massive impact on the environment, the lives of millions of drivers, and ultimately, the cost of goods that we all pay. Baton is fixing that, and you will too through the impactful work you’ll do here.
ROLE ArDD Software Engineer - Backend
LOCATION Hayes Valley, San Francisco, CA
BASIC JOB DETAILS
Office days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Work from home days: Monday, Friday
Job type: Full time
We are seeking a Staff Backend Engineer who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has an unrelenting passion for building products that resonate with users. The successful candidate will be tasked with architecting and executing both the backend framework and API layer, incorporating our extensive stack which includes Python, Typescript, Postgres, and AWS. While the role is that of an individual contributor, this person will provide pivotal technical leadership to the team and will set priorities for the backend and product teams.
- Provide technical leadership by mentoring junior engineers, guiding architectural decisions, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to align development efforts with business goals.
- Lead the design and development of backend systems and APIs, utilizing Python and best practices in software engineering to ensure high performance, scalability, and security.
- Serve as an exemplar of coding excellence, writing clean, maintainable, and efficient Python code, conducting code reviews, and enforcing coding standards to elevate overall code quality.
- Define the backend architecture, make informed technology choices, and architect solutions that meet current and future requirements while optimizing for scalability.
- Take ownership of complex technical challenges, troubleshoot issues, and proactively identify areas for improvement in the backend infrastructure, ensuring a reliable and efficient web application.
- Maintain comprehensive documentation for backend systems, APIs, and development processes to facilitate knowledge sharing and onboarding of new team members.
- Stay updated with industry trends and emerging technologies, conducting research and proposing innovative solutions to enhance the web application's capabilities and user experience.
- Backend development experience with Python
- Expert proficiency with Python
- Expert knowledge of modern web architectures
- Expert ability to build a web app backend
- SQL/ DB
- Ability to architect a database
- Ability to provide mentorship to junior engineers; distill complex topics down
- Ability to own and drive a roadmap for multiple projects across multiple teams & multiple major initiatives
- 8+ years of full time software development experience
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Annual bonus and Long Term Incentive Plan participation
- Hybrid work schedule
- 401k with matching
- Medical, Dental, and Vision health coverage
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount to market value)
- Hyper stable, publicly traded enterprise
- Collaborative, fun, and tech forward office in Hayes Valley (San Francisco)
Why You Should Join
- Have an immediate impact
- With Ryder’s existing customer base of 50,000+ companies and an internal headcount of 43,000, the scale and impact of our products will be large and far-reaching, from day one.
- Opportunity to grow and lead in a Fortune 500 company
- You’ll get to work in a rapidly growing, startup-like environment while having the stability and backing of Ryder and its full executive team.
- Creative, fast-paced environment to solve impactful problems in supply chain
- We’re going to design completely new tools for an industry that hasn’t been rethought in decades. And to do this, we need people who think differently.