At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Before the dawn of everything internet, insurance was intimate and personal. You walked down the street to chat with your broker, and the risk to your business, your livelihood, was covered with a handshake. Today things are different. The average insurance policy for a mom-and-pop store trades through a dozen different hands and traverses a maze of systems and processes. Few are accountable and fewer know the whole story.
This is just a taste of the type of big problem we want you to solve. We seek a software engineer to help drive a digital product team on a mission to bring a new type of interaction to a market once exclusively driven by in-person relationships.
As a member of a cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, designers, and product managers, you'll provide input and have your voice heard on key product decisions, and the tools and resources to build and ship ideas quickly. You'll be a part of a startup-like environment in a company with thousands of existing customers.
Who you are
Like Git? Great. Have a favorite data store? Front-end framework? Way of working? Propose it! We believe that a collaborative technology team focused on outcomes is capable of making rational decisions based on system-risk, ramp-up time and ease-of-use. Utility trumps novelty..
- Develop and maintain Intake application.
- Drive UI component toolkit development.
- Contribute to standardization and best practice efforts on client service development.
- Work with product and design teams to define, design, and build client service features.
- Scope and implements project-level solutions with minimal guidance.
- Consistently follow best practices and able to defend technical decisions in code review feedback.
- Write maintainable code. Provides helpful, timely code reviews. Writes engineering review proposals and contributes to technical design, thinking through failure cases.
- Understand how code fits into broader technical context.
- Debug effectively within their primary area to help find root cause.
- Influence the technical direction of the Digital Technology Services team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a software developer in a distributed enterprise system.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in developing in one or more front-end frameworks/libraries such as React, Angular, Vue or Svelte.
- Experienced in agile methodologies and continuous integration.
- Working knowledge of OO principles, design patterns, and refactoring techniques.
- Working knowledge with at least some of the following: TypeScript, NodeJS, GraphQL, React, CSS, AWS.
- Ability to recognize and remediate application security vulnerabilities (particularly the OWASP Top Ten).
- Willingness to learn.
- Ability to analyze technical topics and communicate understanding verbally, in writing, and with diagrams/examples.
- Commitment to technical excellence.
- Passion for delivering delightful user experiences.
- Desire to be a team player.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.