At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
The Head of Procurement is responsible for managing Argo Group procurement globally. This position will lead the implementation of the procurement strategy, developing processes and systems required to deliver procurement and post contract management.
The individual in this role is responsible for the strategic development of procurement to maximize value for money and achieve necessary legislation and compliance through the support and development of best practice across the organization. To provide procurement advice and support for the senior executive team, legal, audit team, DTS and other shared service or Business Unit as may be required by Argo group. Responsible for the sourcing and management of strategic supply contracts on behalf of Argo group. To maximize economies of scale and maximize any distinct requirements.
Procurement is responsible for developing, advising and implementing procurement/vendor management policy, procedures for Argo Group to maximize value for money and adhere to respective legislations as well as evaluating suppliers, products and services, negotiating contracts and ensuring approved purchases are cost efficient and of high quality.
Responsible for the development, implementation and on-going management of the Procurement Strategy for Argo Group to influence legal compliance of procurement policy and supporting legislation across the institution, including cybersecurity of our partners and suppliers and to generate value for money.
Lead the development and implementation of procurement policies and system strategies to support tendering, contracts management, spend analytics and supplier performance management. Work closely with Operations as needed to maximize value through an external RFP process.
Lead the development of new supply chains to create greater competition and align the business to category procurement strategies.
Drive continuous improvement, best value and quality improvements within the company and departments in challenging existing practices and actively seek ways to achieve better outcomes, contributing to ensure key performance and financial targets are met and corrective action taken where necessary.
Leverage resources across all boundaries to support business goals, bringing all expertise necessary to address the company’s challenges to safeguard against contractual and commercial risk.
Report to the Senior Executive team and respective committees as may be required from time to time to provide up to date status reports on procurement to include development; demonstrate value for money and compliance to regulatory procurement requirements, including Anti-Bribery, Cybersecurity, Corruption and Fraud.
Work with our Lloyds team to ensure Argo and any future and existing vendors comply with and can demonstrate such compliance around the streamlined energy and carbon reporting framework, tied to the Lloyds market-wide carbon offset project.
Ensure all aspects of regulatory compliance are adhered to in regard to the respective Procurement Policies and external requirements as well as the companies contractual and commercial risk.
Develop excellent and effective collaborative relationships with key stakeholders and external providers and other agencies to ensure strategic and operational needs are fully understood and incorporated.
Initiating and processing requests for consultant services proposals when appropriate for direct purchases; researching, evaluating, and making appropriate selections to deliver required service.
Identify and address procurement training needs across Argo group for individual’s and organizational development.
Establishing and managing future demand and capacity planning including the development to supplier risk management.
Promote importance of procurement across the organization and best practice through continuous improvement
Partner with Operations during formal communications with external companies during the procurement process.
Facilitate development of relationship with existing and potential suppliers.
Work within the relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
Actively support equality and diversity policies of Argo group.
Attend training courses as identified and agreed for appropriate development.
Undertake other duties not specifically stated which from time to time are necessary without altering the nature or level of responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration, logistics, supply chain or related field; MBA or related graduate degree preferred.
- CPP, CIPS, CPSM or CSCP a plus, not required.
Minimum of 10-15+ years of professional experience in responsible procurement role (preferably for a publicly-traded company).
10+ years procurement experience with off-shore services sourcing, with technology sourcing components and or customer servicing off-shore capabilities
Experience of procuring contracts.
Experience of procurement installation and use of procurement systems.
Experience with records management systems (both automated and paper files) to ensure accurate maintenance of files and ease of retrieval.
Project management experience preferred.
Experience of working in the Property and Casualty sector preferred.
- Experience of sourcing and contract management of corporate categories such as but not limited to IT, HR, Data and Legal Services preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of US/UK procurement legislation, supplier and contract management.
- Strong working knowledge of procurement processes including but not limited to the Insurance sector.
- High level of program management skills.
- Extensive expertise, having operated at a strategic level with a strong track record of success in delivering financial savings.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in order to read, comprehend, and interpret material of moderate to complex difficulty and to compose and deliver internal and external communication and presentations on procurement-related issues.
- Ability to work independently, with practical sense of when to seek input from Management staff.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks with disposition to be analytical, accurate, and efficient in all work-related matters.
- Ability to apply good judgment and business acumen of related procurement and legal procedures.
- Ability to create and form effective internal and external working relationships.
- Essential knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Access); ability to learn new software applications quickly.
- Good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information and adhering to high standards of confidentiality and honesty in all duties.
- Ability to travel regionally, nationally, and internationally (approximately 25%) to visit sponsors and client contacts in the field.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.