At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
We are seeking a Managing Actuary to support the VP – US Operations Reserving in conducting and supervising US Operations reserve reviews and related activities including ad-hoc projects and process improvement efforts.
The Managing Actuary will report to the VP-US Operations Reserving and be based preferably in Chicago, IL or in the New York, NY or Denver, CO Argo Group offices.
- Supervise and execute US Operations reserve reviews under the direction of the VP – US Operations Reserving.
- Interact with US underwriting, claims and finance areas to improve processes and communication between the areas.
- Prepare reserving related reports for US Operations Reserving including quarterly reserve meeting material and quarterly reserve position walk.
- Supervise activities of other US Operations Reserving staff.
- Improvement of data and reports to increase the efficiency of the US Operations close process and associated reporting.
- Establish relationships with pricing, underwriting, claims and finance areas to communicate results and gather qualitative information needed to effectively perform reserve reviews.
- Broad overall knowledge of property/casualty insurance.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical audiences including executive management.
- Ability to interact and work within a team environment and approach actuarial work as collaborative product.
- Ability to execute and lead concurrent projects.
- Proficient PC skills developed through use of Windows and Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated experience with various data software such as SQL and Power BI.
- Experience with ResQ preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, mathematics or related field of study.
- Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society or Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society with appropriate experience.
- 8+ years of property/casualty experience.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.