About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
- Culture: We believe that culture matters enormously in science and that excellence is difficult to sustain. We aim to create a culture that is focused on scientific curiosity, a deep commitment to truth, broad ambition, and selfless collaboration.
With $650M in committed funding, the vision in the next 2-3 years is to grow from 75+ to 250 team members, with plans for further significant growth over the decade ahead.
About the position
As the Head of Brand & Communications, you will build the brand and communications strategy for a rapidly growing research institute. You will be at the forefront of developing Arc's reputation as a world-class leader in research and innovation.
In this position you will
- Be the storyteller for Arc’s vision as a new model for scientific research institutions.
- Design and lead the strategy for developing Arc’s employer brand in the scientific and operational talent markets.
- Partner closely with People, University Relations, and Scientific Publications colleagues to create integrated content and communications for internal audiences that amplifies our mission, celebrates our progress, and supports our teams.
- Lead and integrate web and content design for Arc’s external presence and communications
- Foster productive relationships with reporters to drive an affirmative media strategy and react to coverage as needed.
- Define the framework to measure internal and external communications effectiveness
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in Communications, Marketing or related field or alternatively in the sciences is required.
- 7+ years communication and/or brand development experience including creating and disseminating an organization’s brand, especially as an employer; developing internal and external communications strategies; and managing relationships with media.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills; excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail.
- Preferred: Experience in corporate or non-profit communications within the biotech, life sciences, health tech, or healthcare industries, and preferably also experience with academic institutions.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, start-up environment with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to understand scientific concepts and translate technical language for mainstream audiences.
- Ability to build strong relationships with leaders to deliver integrated communication solutions.
- Ability to work strategically as well as execute on tactical work.