At Antora, we’re on a mission to stop climate change. And we can’t do that unless we tackle the 30% of global emissions that come from industry.
Antora is unlocking zero-emissions industrial energy, cheaper than fossil fuels. Antora’s thermal batteries store energy from renewables as heat for days on end, delivering that stored energy as heat and power at the scale and temperatures that large industrial operations demand. We’re on a path to eliminate gigatons of emissions while strengthening domestic manufacturing, curbing industrial air pollution, and enhancing America’s clean energy leadership.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. We are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to a future where every industrial facility, everywhere on earth, is powered by abundant, low-cost, zero-emissions energy.
Are you a seasoned Sr. Mechanical Engineer with a proven track record in designing and building specialized equipment for high-temperature environments? Are you ready to take on an exciting challenge, applying your expertise to directly influence the development of a groundbreaking combined heat and power (CHP) long-duration energy storage product? If so, we invite you to join our team at Antora Energy.
Over the last year, we have pioneered a novel approach utilizing Thermophotovoltaic (TPV) panels to harvest thermal energy from our unique Thermal Energy Storage (TES) system and convert it to electrical power. The Electric Discharge Module (EDM) encapsulates the TPV panel, shielding it from non-radiative heat transfer, providing active cooling to it, and connecting power and instrumentation to the TES exterior. As a key member of the team, your primary responsibility will be leading the design and prototype development of the EDM, taking ownership of all mechanical engineering aspects associated with it.
You will collaborate with a dedicated group of engineers who are not only experts in their field but also embody Antora's core values of humility, openness, and joy. This is your chance to be part of something transformative, where your skills and passion will drive innovation and shape the future of sustainable energy solutions.
Join us in making a difference and be at the forefront of cutting-edge technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Enhance EDM design: Evaluate past EDM test data, identify short-comings in design and propose enhancements with a focus on safety, efficiency, reliability and manufacturability.
- Collaborative Design Optimization: Work with electrical and thermal engineers, as well as material and component suppliers, to understand practical design constraints, recognizing and communicating trade-offs.
- Contribute to EDM roadmap: Partner with the team lead to contribute to cost and performance roadmaps.
- Lead Prototyping: Collaborate with the engineering team and supply chain to oversee the development and construction of EDM prototypes.
- Prototype Testing: Collaborate with test engineers to plan and schedule field-testing of EDM prototypes.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent.
- 6+ years of hands-on experience working as a mechanical engineer.
- Expert-level proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD), preferably SolidWorks.
- Experience with rapid prototyping of parts.
- Exceptional attention to detail with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with new product development, ideally in a start-up environment
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Graduate degree in mechanical engineering, materials science or equivalent.
- Experience designing equipment for high-temperature (> 400 C) environments.
- Experience designing and assembling actively cooled equipment.
- Experience with carbon-based materials like graphite or carbon composites.
- Familiarity with actively cooled power electronics.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with thermal and electrical engineers.
Work Location: Onsite - Sunnyvale, CA
Salary Range: $165,000 - $180,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.