Antora Energy is on a mission to stop climate change by commercializing a new class of ultra-low-cost energy storage. We are committed to building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth.
Lead the design of the two power discharge subsystems (one to generate electricity, one to generate process heat) from an ultra-high temperature (1500℃) thermal storage system in an efficient, reliable, safe, and cost-effective manner.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Drive internal and external cross-functional teams on the definition, design, prototyping, validation, and hand-off to mass production of the power discharge subsystems.
- Coordinate with the internal & external thermophotovoltaic (TPV) cell and module engineering teams on how the TPV modules are integrated into the overall system.
- Coordinate with the internal & external process heat engineering teams on how the thermal discharge is integrated into the overall system.
- Define & execute experimental investigations to inform thermal discharge designs and their integration into the broader system.
- Bachelors or equivalent in an engineering or technical field (e.g., mechanical, thermal, chemical, aerospace, etc).
- 8+ years of experience in activities such as designing, costing, prototyping, and working with large-scale thermal engineering projects that span multiple engineering disciplines.
- Hands-on experience with thermal systems - design, prototype, buildout and testing of novel design concepts. Comfortability with rapid design iteration cycles.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Empathy, sensitivity, and ability to effectively interact with a broad and diverse range of colleagues.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- 10+ years of experience in the power/energy sector working with high temperatures, such as molten salt thermal energy storage (TES), concentrating solar power (CSP), thermal power plant design, boiler/superheater/heat exchanger design, advanced nuclear, pyrolysis, high-temperature metals/ceramics production, heat treatment, first-of-a-kind plants, etc.
- Knowledge of computational multi-physics software and ability to guide detailed work in ANSYS Fluent, COMSOL, STAR-CCM+, or SolidWorks Flow Simulation.
Successful applicants will likely have most or all the above attributes. However, we encourage you to apply even if your experiences and qualifications deviate somewhat from this list.
Location and hours: Antora’s operations are currently highly distributed, especially so given the current situation with COVID-19. While our core team is concentrated in the San Francisco Bay Area, many team members are currently working from home depending on their job functions, and we partner with contractors and suppliers across the US. Our headquarters is located in Sunnyvale, CA. For this role, some amount (a few days per week) of on-site work will be required, and flexibility in schedule can be accommodated. This is a full-time position, but we are also open to temporary contract work in the near-term.
- A competitive salary
- Stock options
- A premium benefits package, including:
- 100% employer premium coverage for Anthem PPO Gold health plan
- Option for Anthem PPO Platinum health plan, with employer premium coverage up to Gold level
- Vision and dental coverage
- Life insurance
- 50% health insurance premium coverage for dependents
- Flexible spending account for health care and dependent care
- 401(K) plan
- Industry-leading paid time off policy, including flexible and inclusive holiday observance
- Additional volunteer time off
- Clean commute stipend
- Dedicated benefits manager to help employees navigate insurance and our broader benefits
- A flexible schedule and a work culture that is supportive of the differing constraints we all have on our time
- A team of kind, energetic, and passionate people that values and supports people from all different backgrounds
- Company-supported career development opportunities
- The opportunity to be a leader in a rapidly-growing organization
- A supportive, respectful, and creative environment
- The opportunity to work in an environment in which your everyday actions have the potential for enormous impact in clean energy and climate
About Antora Energy
Antora Energy is a rapidly-growing startup on a mission to decarbonize our energy system by commercializing a new class of ultra-low-cost energy storage. Antora's modular thermal battery technology is charged by electricity, and can discharge both electricity and process heat up to 1500°C. With costs 20x lower than existing storage products, Antora's thermal battery solution reduces customer energy costs while increasing resiliency and slashing total heat and electricity emissions. This breakthrough solution is uniquely positioned to provide zero-carbon heat and electricity at prices below fossil fuels, and ultimately enable deep decarbonization across both the industrial sector and the electric power sector.
Our team consists of leading technology experts and entrepreneurs with deep experience building and scaling new technologies for decarbonization. We are backed by the world’s leading venture capital firms, as well as the US Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, and California Energy Commission. Antora Energy was founded in 2018 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth.