Director of Portfolio, Toronto
Antler is a global early-stage venture capital firm that invests in the defining technology companies of tomorrow. Antler is on a mission to fundamentally improve the world by identifying, investing in and challenging the world’s most exceptional people to build groundbreaking technology companies.
We believe anyone with the right grit, spike, drive, and ambition can change the world. Antler is present in most major startup ecosystems across five continents, including in hubs such as New York, London, Berlin, Bangalore, Singapore, Sydney, and, most recently, in Toronto. Since launching in 2017, we have invested in over 700 companies across the world, and our portfolio represents over 30 different industries, such as healthtech, proptech, deeptech, and fintech.
The aspiration for Antler is to be the world’s leading early-stage VC, and a value-adding partner for exceptional founders from pre-idea to IPO.
About the job:
As Director of Portfolio you will lead work within both pre-investment and post-investment founder support. In the pre-investment phase you’ll manage our company analysis, idea vetting and valuation, manage the interview of founders and help form an investment thesis together with our HQ team. In the post-investment work you’ll provide hands-on support, along with creating better systems, processes, and tools for our investees.
- Help create best practice processes across both local and global investment and portfolio management.
- Operational involvement; supporting the program and founders with anything from ideation to team formation and pitch practice.
- Oversee our research of market trends and opportunities, review pitch books and create a pipeline of ventures looking to raise funds.
- Manage our due diligence and provide insight and analysis to the Partners and Investment committee.
- Help manage our portfolio companies' fundraising processes from start to finish through introductions, liaising with VCs and other investors, support with term sheets, etc.
- Lead portfolio reviews at the end of each quarter with the local and investment team to understand how the companies are performing.
- Be a powerful brand ambassador for Antler.
- Experience in venture capital or private equity investment fund
- 4-6 years of experience in a highly competitive environment e.g. top-tier management consulting or investment banking firm.
- Independent and proactive with a focus on execution
- Comfortable with quick changes, tight deadlines, ambiguity, and willingness to support the growth of Antler
- Highly collaborative approach and influencing skills
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Independent and proactive with a positive attitude.
- Passion for entrepreneurship and belief the world needs more change-makers and innovators.
- Comfortable with quick changes, tight deadlines, and moving targets.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Be someone founders respect and want to work with
- Able to work independently and in a team as the situation demands.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work with the best talents that will generate many of the future leading companies.
- Opportunity to build and work with highly qualified and fun teams.
- Opportunity to take part in the early shaping and vision of the next generation of disruptive tech companies in Canada.
- Competitive remuneration, including “carry”
Note: The role is based in Toronto.