Are you an experienced Character FX Artist with a creative passion to create high quality effects for an animated feature!? We are looking for Character FX Artists to join our team in Vancouver!
What you’ll get to do:
- Develop hair, cloth, and fur simulations with direction from the Department Supervisor or Lead
- Develop intelligent Houdini character setups, that can be highly automated
- Develop techniques and Houdini Digital Assets to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Assist in the development of the Char FX pipeline and tools (in conjunction with TDs and R&D)
- Accurately gauge time it takes to achieve tasks and hit deadlines consistently
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews
- Assist or mentor junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
What you bring:
- 3 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature with a focus in Character FX and simulations
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality hair, fur, cloth, and feather effects simulation
- Production experience using Houdini: Vellum & grooming tools
- Production experience using Houdini: SOPs/DOPs essential
- Production experience using Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Production experience with Numerions Carbon Cloth a Bonus
- Understanding of muscle and skin simulation desired
- Understanding of anatomy and form in motion
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
What you should include in your demo reel/portfolio:
- Complex and problem solving Character FX shot work
- Houdini simulations
- Any digital assets and setups you’ve contributed to, created or developed yourself
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio based in downtown Vancouver!
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including free gym access, breakfast, use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you've been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!