Are you an Crowd TD interested in working with us in our Vancouver studio?! The Crowd TD will be responsible for supporting the creative and visual objectives through pipeline troubleshooting, user support, technical direction, and tool development. They will use and help develop artificial intelligence based 3D crowd animation systems (i.e. Houdini) to simulate large groups of characters that appear and behave in a realistic manner. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
What you'll get to do:
- Understand the visual requirements for the film, and design procedures, techniques and tools that will enable these to be met
- Assist the Crowd team with day to day issues and escalating through the right channels when necessary
- Ensure that tools and procedures support the creative process
- Provide solutions to visual problems through existing tools or by leading development of new tools
- Test and validate new releases of pipeline tools both interactive (Houdini) and automated (Farm) within these Production tool and Farm environments
- Liaise with R&D to ensure compliance with internal best practices
- Understand the processes of adjoining teams, provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Create and update technical documentation for Crowd processes
- Establish close partnership with FX/Character FX artists and other TD groups
- Work closely with the Crowd Lead and FX Department Supervisor to plan, develop, and maintain department specific tools and plan for the future show/studio creative needs
- Provide training and documents to the artists for new creative tools
What you bring:
- 3 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- Proven pipeline TD experience in animated features, animated TV series and/or VFX feature films
- Degree in Animation, Film, Computer Science, Design, Engineering, Maths or Physics, or equivalent combination of education & work experience in animation/VFX
- Solid understanding of Crowd simulation and other simulations
- Proven experience troubleshooting, maintaining, and developing tools in Houdini
- Experience and knowledge in Python language (C++ as a bonus)
- Working knowledge of source control systems, PyQt or other GUI toolkit
- Experience in, Ziva, Maya, Mari, Nuke, XSI considered a bonus
- Working knowledge of concepts like data flow, data dependencies, Meta data, publishing and retrieval
- An ability to quickly acquire a working understanding of both off-the-shelf and proprietary software tools
- The ability to code review and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- The ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work and remain calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Excellent in pro-active problem solving and finding solutions within the parameters presented
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio based in downtown Vancouver!
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including free gym access, breakfast, use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!