Are you an FX TD interested in working with us in our Vancouver studio?! The FX TD is responsible for supporting the technical objectives of the FX /Character FX team through tool development, technical direction, pipeline troubleshooting, and artists support. They will work closely with Artists, Character FX Lead, FX Supervisor, cross site FX Department TDs and R&D teams to ensure a common and standardised approach to the workflow, tool development and support. Specifically focusing in the areas of simulation and deformation techniques for skin, cloth, fur, hair and feathers in Houdini. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
What you'll get to do:
- Understand the visual requirements for the film, and design procedures, techniques and tools that will enable these to be met
- Assist the FX/Character FX team with day to day issues and escalating through the right channels when necessary
- Ensure that tools and procedures support the creative process
- Provide solutions to visual problems through existing tools or by leading development of new tools
- Test and validate new releases of pipeline tools both interactive (Houdini) and automated (Farm) within these Production tool and Farm environments
- Liaise with R&D to ensure compliance with internal best practices
- Understand the processes of adjoining teams, provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Create and update technical documentation for FX/Character FX processes
- Establish close partnership with FX/Character FX artists and other TD groups
- Work closely with the Character FX Lead and FX Supervisor to plan, develop, and maintain department specific tools and plan for the future show/studio creative needs
- Provide training and documents to the artists for new creative tools
What you bring:
- 3 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- Proven pipeline TD experience in animated features, animated TV series and/or VFX feature films
- Solid understanding of Character FX simulation and deformation techniques for skin, cloth, fur, hair and feathers
- Experience using and troubleshooting in Houdini software
- Knowledge/experience in Python language
- Working knowledge of source control systems, PyQt or other GUI toolkit
- Experience in Ziva, Maya, Mari, Nuke, XSI considered a bonus
- Working knowledge of concepts like data flow, data dependencies, Meta data, publishing and retrieval
- Degree in Animation, Film, Computer Science, Design, Engineering, Maths or Physics, or equivalent combination of education & work experience in animation/VFX
- An ability to quickly acquire a working understanding of both off-the-shelf and proprietary software tools
- The ability to code review and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- The ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work and remain calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Excellent in pro-active problem solving and finding solutions within the parameters presented
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, independently owned and operated, award-winning studio.
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks galore!
Due to security reasons please do not include any links to Dropbox or Google Docs.
For more information about Working Holiday Visas and company sponsored visas please go to our FAQ.