Director, Market Access Marketing & Communications
Allakos Inc. is a clinical-stage company developing therapeutic antibodies for inhibitory receptors on the surface of immune effector cells involved in allergic, inflammatory and proliferative diseases.
Allakos is committed to developing innovative therapies that transform patients’ lives. We are looking for bright and talented individuals to join our team and share in our passion and commitment to improving the lives of patients.
The Director, Market Access Marketing & Communications is responsible for serving as a strategic partner driving the development and execution of Market Access marketing and communication strategies and tactics to maximize patient access to therapy. This role will be accountable for constructing the payer value story, field access messaging, and executing on access marketing strategies and tactics to secure and maintain optimal access for Allakos products.
In addition, the Director, Market Access Marketing & Communications will create and deploy access-related communication material and facilitate training of field personnel who have responsibility for educating customers on patient services, reimbursement, distribution, and other access-related programs. This role will also work cross-functionally with the Brand Marketing, Payer Account Team, Patient Services & Reimbursement, Medical Affairs, Sales, Trade, HEOR, Compliance, Legal, Business Analytics and external vendors to develop and deploy impactful strategies and tactics supporting access-related communications.
The position requires strong knowledge of access strategies as well as the payer buy-and-bill landscape, distribution, and patient support services with a proven ability to develop tools and resources that effectively communicate a product’s value to payers and channel customers. This position will report to the Head of Market Access and will be based at the Allakos corporate office in Redwood City, CA.
- Lead the development of all Market Access and reimbursement communication strategies including payer value messaging to maximize favorable access of Allakos product/s
- Develop robust payer and provider messaging, materials, and tools to communicate each product’s value proposition, economics, and access related services
- Establish payer engagement plans to support pre-approval payer education, facilitate access related advisory boards, and drive post approval payer messaging and access pull-through
- Navigate the selection, negotiation, contracting, and oversight of an Agency of Record to support Market Access marketing and communications needs
- Lead successful coordination of access communication strategies across all Payer types to drive coverage and appropriate reimbursement at the patient and provider level
- Partner with Medical Affairs, HEOR, and brand Marketing to develop a compelling and integrated access messaging and communication platform targeting payers, providers, distribution partners, and patients
- Serve as a content expert for all areas related to payer, patient services, and reimbursement communications to champion related materials through the Medical, Regulatory, Legal review and approval process
- Develop access resources to support field sales engagement with key stakeholders including providers, administrators, and billers
- Build and manage awareness and tools to communicate favorable coverage and access status in support of field messaging and pull-through initiatives
- Identify new opportunities, set objectives, strategies and resources needed to achieve access related goals
- Track and manage budgets, outside spend, and vendor contracts
- Understand key market trends and changes in healthcare delivery to develop market insights critical to value and access strategy and communication
- Serve as key member of the Market Access leadership team with continuous input into team goals, objectives, and strategies
Qualifications and Expertise:
- BA/BS degree required; advanced degree (MBA, MHS) preferred
- Minimum 7 years of payer, channel, branded, and/or patient services Marketing experience
- Experience across a range of product types including buy-and-bill biologics
- Launch experience with specialty brands distributed through multiple channels
- Knowledge and experience across market access, managed markets, access marketing and communications within the pharmaceutical biotech space
- Experience building and deploying payer value stories, provider communications related to access, and patient education specific to support services
- Results oriented with excellent collaboration, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines
- Flexibility in prioritizing work and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrate strategic thinking, creativity, problem solving, critical analysis, and decision-making skills with a focus on results
- Strong relevant subject matter knowledge
- This position is office-based and may require 15-20% travel to attend meetings and other events.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Allakos Values are: Selflessness, Drive, Clarity, Thoughtfulness, Fun, and Leadership.
Allakos is an equal opportunity employer. Allakos will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.