At AIR COMPANY we are paving a pathway to global decarbonization by transforming CO₂ into endless resources via industrial scale applications. Working with nature, rather than against it, our proprietary AIRMADE™ Technology mimics photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide and water via renewable energy into carbon-negative chemicals and fuels.
We have commercial partnerships with airlines including JetBlue and Virgin Atlantic, amongst others, and have been awarded multiple government contracts from NASA and the United States Department of Defense. AIR COMPANY has received industry recognition through awards such as Time Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas and the XPRIZE for Carbon Removal.
We are proudly headquartered in New York City and co-founded by Gregory Constantine (CEO) and Dr. Stafford Sheehan (CTO). Our team spans a diverse group of world-leading experts in chemistry, engineering and technological development and deployment. AIR COMPANY is backed by capital partners aligned with the company’s mission to boldly transform industry including the US Department of Defense, NASA, Toyota Ventures, JetBlue Ventures and Carbon Direct.
We are seeking Process Operators to join our team. These roles will report to our Senior Plant Manager or Pilot Plant Manager. Process Operators will support the Operations team at AIR COMPANY’s Innovation Center and AIR COMPANY’s Air Factory, based in Brooklyn, NY.
What you get to do
Operation and Maintenance:
- Safely start-up, operate, monitor and shut-down process equipment including fixed bed flow reactors and auxiliary reactor systems at lab, pilot and production scales.
- Operate tertiary electrolyzer and compressor systems for H₂ production.
- Adjust, test, and operate pumps, valves, controls and other components of systems.
- Monitor, record, and interpret process parameters and deviations as required on Honeywell Experion software.
- Respond quickly to short-term business priorities and technology decision points by executing quick fabrication and set-up for various research test systems.
Safety and Quality:
- Follow and contribute to safe work processes and safe operating procedures (SOPs).
- Contribute to achieve acceptable quality standards, R&D scale testing, and production uptime greater than 90%.
Data Management and Troubleshooting:
- Obtain data exports and perform various calculations as required.
- Maintain accurate and detailed logbooks of operational activities.
- In coordination with managers, troubleshooting and light repair of process equipment as well as coordinating with third party contractors where required.
- Assist with system upgrades and improvements.
- Assist with scaling up of Air Company’s reactor technology.
- Coordinate transportation and handling of inbound and outbound hazardous chemicals.
- Flexible to work 12-hr day and night shifts to maintain a 24/7 continuous operational cycle.
- Coordinate shift handovers effectively, providing detailed information to the incoming shift.
- Ability to work in potentially loud environments/different physical environments.
- Must be able to move about in the processing areas and be able to do the following: lift and carry 50 pounds, stand and walk for sustained periods; climb stairs and ladders; bend; reach; push; pull.
- Hazards require the use of personal protective equipment (i.e. hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, and safety shoes).
What you bring to AIR COMPANY
- HS diploma and/or industry specific training/experience required
- Veterans and candidates with 2-yr technology certificates or degrees are encouraged to apply
- Experience operating chemical reaction systems or other pressure equipment
- Experience in operating or and maintaining engineering equipment for chemical or petrochemical facilities
- Experience working 12 hr shift work rotations in support of 24/7 operations
- Familiar with safety protocols for handling hazardous chemicals
- Ability to work proactively and independently with an eagerness to learn
- Proficient computer skills with the ability to learn and use specialized complex software
- Team player with a strong passion for fostering a safe collaborative work environment
- Interest in sustainability, technology, science, cultural progress, and startup environments
- Must be able to complete FDNY Certificate of Fitness exams (A-35, G-98, C-92, and G-79) within 6 months of employment
- Research and development or process improvement experience.
- Gas to liquids operations experience.
Compensation Range: $34.00 - $40.75/hr. This position is overtime-eligible.
Position type and expected hours of work: Full time position, be willing to work any day of the week, and be flexible to off shift and/or rotating shifts as applicable or assigned. Overtime may be required.
The approximate compensation range and benefits listed may vary based on the applicant's experience, skills, abilities, and relevant industry expertise.
At Air Company we value employees for their unique perspectives. We are an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women, marginalized genders and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At AIR COMPANY we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Working at Air Company
In addition to standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we are:
- A people-first, climate solutions company driven to move society to a more sustainable future
- A unified team of climate optimists with an exceptional and diverse range of backgrounds
- Committed to fostering collaboration with a team that believes in the power of science and that business can be used as a force for good
We also provide:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. 100% coverage for employee premiums, 50% coverage for spouse and dependent premiums.
- Company funded Short Term Disability
- Up to 184 hours paid time off
- 11 company observed public holiday paid at the OT rate
- Generous paid sick leave
- A tax deferred 401(k) Plan to invest in your future
- Commuter Benefits: Pre-Tax Income for MassTransit
- Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored company events and DEI social initiatives
- Catered meals on Fridays