Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for a Communications Associate to join our team. The Communications Associate will be a dynamic professional committed to protecting civil liberties, and to helping expand our community of more than 30,000 donors and members. At the ACLU-MN, we take pride in our reputation of more than 65 years of fighting for people whose civil liberties are threatened or denied. And now — as we enlarge our staff to face the current threats to our civil liberties — is the ideal time to join us.
Working alongside the Communications Director, the Communications Associate will help develop strategic and coordinated digital media plans to elevate the legislative, legal and community advocacy work of the ACLU; and help advance the ACLU-MN’s brand identity.
The position is based in our Minneapolis office.
Our Communications Associate will:
Manage the ACLU-MN’s social media and email advocacy presence by:
- Creating and administering multimedia content, including blog posts, emails, event pages, action alerts, online graphics, online advertising, videos, photography, audio clips, and social media posts across multiple platforms.
- Planning, scheduling and implementing a digital communications plan and calendar.
- Creating and administering email campaigns, including message testing.
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting analytics from ACLU-MN digital campaigns.
- Monitoring and implementing social media trends and emerging practices.
Be the point person for graphic design by:
- Designing eye-catching digital assets and published materials such as newsletters, signs, fliers, memes, infographics, reports, postcards, swag and more using Adobe design suite.
Manage the organization’s website by:
- Maintaining and creating content for the ACLU of Minnesota website(s), blog and social media.
Support the communications department by:
- Helping supervise volunteers and interns.
- Tracking and compiling news coverage analytics and helping monitor breaking news coverage.
- Managing the organization’s inventory of promotional materials.
- Providing in-person technical assistance at events; and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Excellent verbal, written, research and interpersonal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and accurate with strong follow through, and the ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work creatively and collaboratively as part of a team.
- A keen eye for graphic design and visual storytelling.
- Excellent computer and internet skills, including MS Office and Drupal or similar CMS.
- Proficiency with the Adobe design suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign and/or Illustrator.
- Basic proficiency with HTML and email coding.
- Communications that value people-centered, inclusive language and storytelling.
- Experience with photography, audio, and taping and editing video is desirable.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience and;
- A minimum of two to four years of relevant communications experience, preferably with an advocacy-oriented, nonprofit organization.
Finally, our next Communications Associate will bring a commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU-MN, along with a personal dedication to a professional team that will bring us into our next 65 years as Minnesota’s guardian of liberty.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $40,000 - $50,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer contribution; and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
Submit a letter of interest; a resume or C.V.; two relevant professional writing samples; a portfolio PDF or portfolio link showing several examples of graphic design work; and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity.
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed starting July 15 and will be accepted until position is filled.
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed.)