ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Training Specialist in the Business Operations and Support Services Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY.
The Business Operations and Support Services department, in the office of the Chief Operating Officer, works to enable organizational and operational effectiveness by partnering with ACLU staff across the enterprise to develop core business operations, training programs, and support services needed to maximize resources, evaluate and mitigate risk, and achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
The ACLU National Training Team prides ourselves on offering quality learning experiences to ACLU staff and creating systems that allow for consistency and collaboration within a decentralized training program. We are a small team working to lead an exciting new cross functional partnership within the organization that is still growing and expanding. The Training Specialist plays a key role in this work, setting standards for learning content and helping ensure training programs are aligned with internal ACLU values. The ideal candidate for this position is ideas-driven, has a background in teaching, education or instructional design and is passionate about making learning an impactful and empowering experience.
Reporting to the Associate Director of National Training, the Training Specialist will be responsible for responsible for creating engaging learning content for ACLU National staff, focused on internal business process and employee development. The Training Specialist is also responsible for the day to day management of training operations, including connecting with learners to answer questions, oversight of the LMS and supporting the organizational mission to create accessible and inclusive learning opportunities. This role provides a unique opportunity to collaborate across departments, working with subject matter experts on a diverse array of topics and using technological prowess to ensure we stay at the forefront of learning technologies and trends.
- Develop innovative, interactive digital learning opportunities for ACLU training programs using authoring software such as Articulate
- Work closely with subject matter experts across the organization to develop ACLU specific curriculum and materials focused on enhancing organizational effectiveness
- Facilitate engaging training programs both virtually and in-person
- Act as a partner by contributing to strategic learning objectives, recommending innovative learning solutions and promoting exceptional customer service
- Responsible for day-to-day management of training operations and administration, including providing support to learners via the training help queue in Zendesk
- Manage the ACLU’s LMS, including processing of new staff, managing employee requests, compliance administration and technical support
- Assist with design and upkeep of learning resources on the intranet
- Coordinate with other training staff to ensure all training programs meet internal standards for accessibility, inclusion and belonging
- Keep current with trends, best practices, new technologies and emerging innovations in the training sphere and implement solutions that continue to build impactful learning opportunities for staff
- Foster and maintain strong working relationships with departments across the organization, including both National and Affiliate staff
- Assist with continuous improvement of training programs by recommending process improvements, curriculum enhancements or new procedures
- Coordinate with members of the Business Operations Unit to establish systems for tracking compliance for State, Federal and ACLU mandated training programs
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Center principles of equity, inclusion, and belonging in all work, embedding the values in program development, policy application, and organizational practices and processes
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated skill in instructional design, including creation of engaging content for in-person, webinar and On Demand training
- Strong understanding of and ability to apply principals of adult learning to inform content creation and classroom instruction
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to truly engage and excite learners of all skill levels
- Ability to design learner-friendly training materials and technical documentation
- Clear understanding of the role of training in addressing human performance gaps
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Excellent client service and relationship building skills preferred
- Self-motivated, accountable and team oriented, with the ability to operate independently when needed preferred
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, clearly communicate progress and address issues while still meeting required deadlines preferred
- Critical thinker with demonstrated problem solving skills and the ability to make independent decisions preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail preferred
- Ability to adapt and quickly adjust in response to changing priorities preferred
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills preferred
- Ability to give and receive feedback in a manner consistent with organizational culture preferred
- Comfortable working in a positive team environment with high performance standards preferred
- Commitment to creating training programs that align with organization values around equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging preferred
- Experience with a content authoring tool. Articulate, Rise and Storyline preferred
- Experience with video editing software. Camtasia Studio preferred
- Experience with an LMS. Litmos preferred
- Experience with SharePoint preferred
- Experience with Zendesk or a similar system preferred
- Ability to travel as needed preferred
The annual salary for this position is $80,628 (Level I). This salary is reflective of a position based in New York, NY. This salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting. Note that most of the salaries listed on our job postings reflect New York, NY salaries, where our National offices are headquartered.
ABOUT THE ACLU
The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union – beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
For over 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the ACLU and central to our work to advance liberty, equality, and justice for all. We are a community committed to learning and growth, humility and grace, transparency and accountability. We believe in a collective responsibility to create a culture of belonging for all people within our organization – one that respects and embraces difference; treats everyone equitably; and empowers our colleagues to do the best work possible. We are as committed to anti-oppression and anti-racism internally as we are externally. Because whether we’re in the courts or in the office, we believe ‘We the People’ means all of us.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are all strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.