ABOUT THE JOB
- Act as the first point of contact for inquiries and correspondence relating to bequests received from trusts and estates, and life income gifts
- Handle phone conversations with donors, attorneys, trustees and executors
- Compose, edit and proofread communications for external donor audiences
- Coordinate projects with Gift Processing, Finance, other Gift Planning staff, and other Development units, as well as with outside bank administrator
- Process new and repeat charitable gift annuities, including running financial calculations, preparing annuity agreements and correspondence with donors
- Handle ongoing gift administration, including processing quarterly payments to annuitants, annual tax statements and reports to trust donors and responding to general inquiries of annuitants and trust donors
- Produce management reports; update and maintain database records and files; and process distributions
- Provide day-to-day financial management of unit operating budget
- Conduct research on donors and prospects as necessary
- Undertake special projects within the Development Department, as needed
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects; superior attention to detail with strong follow-through
- Strong proofreading and editing skills
- Ability to work collaboratively; shares assigned resources and information and serves as a point of reference for other staff to meet goals/deadlines within the expected time frame
- Ability to anticipate obstacles and suggest alternative courses of action for difficult projects
- Ability to speak and write effectively to convey clarity, specificity, and exactness, being mindful of the intended audience
- Ability to exercise good judgment about who needs what information and how to deliver it most effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to donors as well as interface with all levels of staff while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools
- Knowledge of, or desire to learn about, the Gift Planning field is desirable
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Experience with databases preferred
- Experience in administrative work
ABOUT THE ACLU
For 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.