For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been at the forefront of every major civil liberties fight in our country’s history. Whether it’s reducing the prison and jail population, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ community, reducing immigration detention, or ending unjust laws that strip people of their fundamental right to vote, we take up the toughest civil liberties issues to defend all individuals from government abuse and overreach. With ACLU affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, we fight tirelessly to defend our rights in the courts, influence public policy, and empower communities to advance rights for all. The ACLU of Michigan, founded in 1959, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public interest organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights in Michigan. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of 40 lawyers, public policy experts, lobbyists, community organizers, communicators and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
The ACLU is deeply committed to racial equity and social justice and is driven to act on these core values. Applicants must be able to recognize ways our identities intersect and play out in the work, especially with communities we serve, and must demonstrate the cultural competency to work with a diverse team and effectively partner with historically marginalized communities.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the ACLU. Our membership has tripled, and we are building a more expansive advocacy infrastructure to increase the ACLU’s effectiveness in achieving its objectives.
The ideal candidate for the Digital Strategist position will have excellent writing skills, a proven ability to implement online communication for marketing, advocacy and outreach, is proficient in graphic design and video production, can manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work space, is a creative thinker with strong analytical skills, and can grow the digital program, setting and driving messaging and brand awareness, and are committed to social justice. The Digital Strategist reports directly to the Communications Director. This is a full-time position.
- Lead digital advocacy, strategy and outreach in partnership with other communication staff and departments in advancement of all our
- Conceptualize, design, create and distribute graphics and videos for online
- Manage online organizing and email and action alert
- Increase engagement on digital platforms and support staff in developing their online
- Manage CMS and
- Work with the Communications Director and Communications Strategist to develop cross-platform campaigns on targeted
- Ensure adherence to ACLU branding protocols and use of ACLU
- Serve as a secondary point of contact for incoming media
- Perform other duties as
Experience and Qualifications:
- 2 years of public relations, communications and/or media experience, including experience organizing and managing social media
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience working on tight
- Experience working with social media platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn,
- Excellent computer skills, including website experience and at least basic
- Experience in video editing and
- Skills in graphic design and fluent in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, and other design
- Committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission,
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and
- A team player that inspires collaboration and functions decisively; flexible and well
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $60, 000 to $65,000 per year, depending on experience. Excellent benefits, including health insurance and a 401(k) retirement plan with matching contributions, are provided.
Application Procedure: To apply, please submit in digital form, by email, a resume, cover letter, one writing sample, and one sample of your graphic, video or web design work, and contact information for three references. Your application should be emailed to: email@example.com
The position will remain open until filled, but the hiring committee will begin to review applications on April 6, 2020 and will continue reviewing applications for consideration through May 18, 2020.
In light of COVID-19, we will be conduct interviews via phone and video conference.
The ACLU of Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
“ACLU of Michigan,” as used in this job description, refers collectively to two separate corporate entities, the ACLU of Michigan and the ACLU Fund of Michigan. The two entities share the same mission, office space, and employees.