Terms of Employment: Full-Time, salaried (salary fixed by NYCLU attorney-salary scale, which is based on years of legal experience)
Location: 125 Broad Street, New York, N.Y.
Application deadline: July 26, 2019 (with applications considered as submitted and until the position is filled)
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org
The NYCLU seeks an experienced attorney to lead and supervise litigation and related advocacy. The senior staff attorney will work on the full range of NYCLU issues and will be responsible for supervising the work of NYCLU attorneys and legal fellows.
The NYCLU’s Legal Department is comprised of seventeen lawyers, an investigator, three paralegals, a data analyst, and a legal assistant. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts and in administrative tribunals. They also support the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, conduct, and lead litigation in federal and state courts and in administrative forums. All NYCLU attorneys are responsible for identifying possible litigation and advocacy, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs; conducting discovery; presenting oral arguments; handling appeals; negotiating settlements, and monitoring final judgments;
- Supervise the work of NYCLU staff attorneys conducting complex public-interest litigation;
- Engage in the advocacy work of the legal department, which includes working with the NYCLU’s advocacy, legislative and communications departments; work with NYCLU offices around New York; work with other advocacy organizations and elected officials; present testimony before legislative bodies and administrative agencies; participate in public education on civil liberties issues by speaking at public events and publishing articles and essays;
- Participate in strategic planning for the legal department;
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate for this position will have 10 or more years of experience successfully handling all aspects of complex public-interest litigation, including developing cases, all forms of discovery, motion practice, evidentiary hearings, and appeals; will have 4 or more years of experience successfully supervising lawyers conducting complex public-interest litigation; will have demonstrated success in developing and supporting effective diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in a public-interest setting; will have engaged in successful advocacy and legislative work; will have substantial experience in public engagement, including public speaking, publishing, and interacting with the press; and will have expertise in immigration, criminal justice, education, or privacy and technology.
Minimum Qualifications Required to Apply for the Position
- Eight years of civil litigation or related legal experience;
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and communication skills;
- Substantial experience in complex public-interest litigation in federal court;
- Demonstrated ability to supervise attorneys and legal work;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a diverse, public-interest setting;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to advocate effectively, including an ability to initiate and follow through on public-interest litigation or advocacy;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and the priorities of the NYCLU; and
- Admission to the New York Bar.
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Please submit your resume and cover letter as one PDF document using the following document naming convention: Last Name, First Name.
Please submit a resume with a cover letter (up to two pages) describing:
- Your unique qualifications for this position
- Where or how you learned of this job posting
The NYCLU will accept applications until midnight, July 26, 2019, or until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately. The NYCLU may fill more than one position through this posting. Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information, including performance samples and references from people they have worked with in the past.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin or sexual orientation. We are committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that we serve at all levels within the organization.