Who We Need & What You’ll Do
AccuWeather is looking for an experienced Data Operations Engineer to support our extensive Cloud Data initiatives. This candidate should have demonstrated experience and knowledge in developing and maintaining scalable data pipelines, monitoring data quality, data warehousing, and building and maintaining data processing systems for mining, acquisition, and modeling. This position will work cross-functionally with Development, Product, and other groups, in an Agile-based development environment. Candidates should also have experience with cloud computing. A suitable candidate will also possess a knowledge of relational databases, column-oriented databases, and languages such as; Java, Python, or SQL.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements
- Automate data collection pipelines
- Provide operational support for our enterprise Databricks environments
- Establish CI/CD pipelines for projects as they move from development to production
- Support ongoing efforts to replicate data to data marketplaces, such as Snowflake
- Perform data analysis and troubleshoot data issues
- Collaborate with the IT Operations and Security teams to ensure all new systems adhere to the internal standards for Security and Performance before deploying to production
- 3+ years’ experience in data engineering or related field
- Experience with cloud-based architectures specifically Microsoft Azure
- Working knowledge of CI/CD tools
- Proficiency in languages such as Python, SQL, Java, or Scala
- Hands-on experience configuring and supporting Databricks environments, including delta sharing.
- Comfortable working with both relational and non-relational databases including but not limited to Microsoft SQL Server and MongoDB
- Displays a prominent level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Ability to make prompt, sound decisions when faced with complex and often contradictory alternatives that result in successful outcomes
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.