AccuWeather recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries, and saved tens of billions of dollars in property damage.
Today, AccuWeather is the most recognized and most used source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, known to billions, and is proven and verified to be the most accurate. Digitally, AccuWeather is the #1 weather destination in the world and one of the top destination sites that exist globally.
AccuWeather forecasts appear on digital signage, in 700 newspapers, are heard on over 400 radio stations and viewed on 100 television stations. The AccuWeather Network reaches 35 million households, and its AccuWeather NOW streaming services is available to more than 200 million active users on many platforms, including Roku, Xumo, Red Box, LG, Amazon, and Freevee.
AccuWeather For Business serves more than half of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of other businesses and government agencies globally who pay for the most accurate weather forecasts from any source. AccuWeather’s story is one of a fanatical dedication to Superior Accuracy™, detail, creativity, innovation. Entrepreneurship, service, and the loyalty and commitment of hundreds of people who have joined AccuWeather’s center of excellence, including many who have dedicated their entire careers to AccuWeather.
Dr. Joel Myers, Founder and Executive Chairman, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and has been recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entertainment.
Reporting directly to the Director of iOS Development, the Lead Software Developer will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining AccuWeather’s flagship iOS application supporting mobile devices and wearables. Modelling an enthusiastic and positive work environment, you will provide technical guidance within a team of software developers who will be working with you on the same initiatives. Leveraging modern iOS and watchOS technologies and architectural approaches, you will translate logical requirements into world class production code.
The Lead Software Developer is a subject matter expert in their field who is an advocate for innovation. Through both independent and collaborative means, you will use extensive experience to analyze tasks, ask questions, write code, strive for quality, peer review work, recommend optimizations, and ensure processes are followed throughout the lifecycle. You operate cross-functionally and contribute to processes, standards, and principles covering the entire delivery lifecycle. This position will demonstrate technical leadership skills, be able to simplify complex technical communication into easy-to-understand terms and help solve business-impacting challenges.
Remote candidates are being considered for this exciting opportunity.
- Design and develop secure, high quality and scalable mobile app and wearable code
- Ability to break down architectural or logical requirements into development tasking
- Work with Product representatives and leadership to set expectations and support roadmaps
- Strong ability to guide team members in technical and career growth
- Peer review code and recommend optimizations
- Define development principles and best practices
- Contribute creative solutions to complex problems
- Design, develop, and maintain modular features and products
- Leverage best of breed technology standards and conventions to build scalable, reliable, solutions
- Prototype, test, and iterate upon new features
- Facilitates team communications and leads discussions across the team and functional groups
- Ensure team meets delivery milestones with high-quality and timely releases
- Communicates status, risks to schedules, and offers mitigation strategies to ensure on-time delivery of all committed projects across the delivery lifecycle
- BS/BA in related discipline with 8 or more years of experience in related field - OR - MS/MA and 5 or more years of experience in related field
- Subject matter expert in development/software engineering field
- Demonstrated experience in a lead position, including prior hands-on development experience
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- Expert-level knowledge of object-oriented development methodologies in Swift / Objective-C
- Working knowledge of Kotlin and Java
- Experience with App Store Connect, Firebase, in-app purchasing, and in-app advertising
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Understanding of unit testing frameworks and tools
- Experience with version control systems and CI/CD processes (Git, SVN, GitHub Actions, Jenkins, etc.)
- Strong understanding of security principles, standards, and conventions
- Experience with high-volume, distributed, systems
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.