AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
AccuWeather is seeking a highly technical leader with excellent operational and interpersonal skills and expertise in mobile applications and platforms to join the Technology leadership team as Manager, Android Development. Someone who likes to engineer breakthrough customer experiences, bring simplicity to software engineering, and drive quality throughout their team.
As the Manager, Android Development, you'll lead a high performing development team to deliver complex mobile app, wearable, and advertising platforms, and drive cutting-edge technologies and quality into AccuWeather's products. We are looking for someone who is technically strong, energetic, collaborative, and passionate about software architecture and design.
- Leads, manages, and grows team of Android focused software engineers
- Works with team to design, develop, and support Android solutions
- Champions automation, continuous improvement, and agile methodologies
- Ensures skillsets are being used effectively to solve the right problems across the team
- Identifies and removes roadblocks to success
- Reports to business partners and leadership on activities, risks, and issues on key projects
- Facilitates team communications and leads discussions across the team and functional groups
- Assigns areas of ownership; ensures resources have clear priorities and adequate resources
- Collaborate with Product, Technology, and Design to deliver innovative experiences
- Coaches team members to progress career goals and personal development goals
- Attracts and retains diverse, high performing, software engineering leaders and individuals
- BS/BA in related discipline with 7+ years’ experience and 5+ years’ management experience
- Recognized SME in Android development, technical design, and producing deliverables
- Possess a deep understanding of and experience developing with Android technologies including Java and Kotlin
- Deep familiarity with global, large-scale applications
- Experience managing teams in an Agile software delivery environment
- Experience leading or managing major projects or programs within department or functional area with significant business impact
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Ability to make prompt, sound decisions when faced with complex and often contradictory alternatives that result in successful outcomes
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- Experience developing software using industry standard tools and services
- Willingness and ability to create and adapt to new technologies
- Remote candidates in Canada and the United States are being considered for this opportunity
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI and WY.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.