Who We Need & What You’ll Do
The Network Operations Center Technician assumes responsibility for the monitoring of all AccuWeather’s critical systems. They provide Level II technical support and customer service duties for both internal and external company clients and products. They maintain communications with appropriate personnel to provide escalation and notification of system anomalies. This position is a third shift (12am-8am) position with some second shift (4pm-12am) or first shift (8am-4pm) work as required. This position also requires that the individual be within 1hr drive to the office in case of emergencies, for on-site shifts, or special events.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Monitoring, maintenance, diagnostics and repair of AccuWeather internal computer equipment in the computer room and at user workstations, as well as support client interaction with computer room systems and downloading of client products.
- Coordinate all modifications and additions to AccuWeather’s computer products and applications with Developers and Support Staff, as well as upgrades and installations of computer room hardware.
- Follow pre-defined escalation and notification procedures.
- Implement new technologies and roll-out new products and systems in coordination with other Technical Support staff.
- Performs trend analysis on monitoring alarms, incident reports and service tickets, to resolve identified issues.
- Maintains computer room installation and configuration standards and coordinates retroactive implementation of those standards.
- Provide technical guidance on operational issues affecting AccuWeather’s key production areas.
- Perform scheduled computer room activities including regular equipment checks, testing exercise, maintenance of computer equipment and repairs on equipment.
- Maintain channels of communication with management and supervisory staff to ensure prompt technical support of technology related problems.
- Provide regular and accurate updates to Shift Supervisor on identified system anomalies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two-year degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- In-depth experience and troubleshooting skills with various operating systems including MS Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows7, 8, 8.1, Windows Server 2000/2003/2010, Active Directory, IIS, Mac OS 09/10, and DOS
- Basic knowledge of Linux/UNIX
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP and associated applications and basic knowledge of network transport protocols
- Experience in diagnosing, installing and troubleshooting computer hardware components
- Conceptual knowledge of communication ports on and between multiple, differing operating systems and computer architectures.
- Programming knowledge and debugging ability
- Project management capabilities
- Exceptional customer communications skills both written and verbal
- Ability to develop a strong working knowledge of AccuWeather products and systems
- Demonstrated ability to consistently build and maintain strong working relationships with representatives from other departments
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency, both in communicating technical issues and resolving them
- Must have advanced knowledge and experience with MS Office computer applications (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds of gross weight.
- Must be able to type with a standard keyboard, view the contents of a standard computer monitor, and operate a three button computer mouse.
- Must be able to work while standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to effectively work under desks.
- Must be able to climb and work from an 8’ ladder.
- Must be able to work within small spaces such as data closets and computer room aisles.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Noise level in the work environment varies from quiet office noise to noise of heavy air conditioning units. Normally the temperature level is maintained at approximately 60F or higher.
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.