Who We Need & What You’ll Do
AccuWeather is looking for a Product Manager to drive the weather alerting strategy for its consumer and business products. Alerts are at the core of AccuWeather’s mission to save lives and protect property. This role is central to AccuWeather’s leadership in delivering local, personalized and timely alerts to the millions of users who rely on AccuWeather products. There is nothing like the weather that impacts lives; from what you wear, your commute, the ability to perform your work or keeping yourself safe - the Product Manager has the chance to shape the alerts and messaging products which are delivered mobile-first to AccuWeather users.
The Product Manager will partner with the Design (UX/UI), Research & Analytics, Marketing, Engineering and Weather Operations teams to identify the core strategy for our alerts and notifications, and then create an approach to build for key opportunities. This product is a B2B2C offering and requires a leader to work through application for both businesses and consumers; balancing the needs of AccuWeather’s vast audience - from the weather enthusiasts seeking a lean-in experience on a variety of weather & lifestyle topics - to the delivery of localized weather information for the user-on-the-move, with forecasts and conditions around the world.
To be successful, you'll be fluent in design thinking and research, empathetic in understanding user needs, quick to understand opportunity and trade-offs, and creative in crafting and testing hypotheses. You will report to the Director of Product, Core Weather Systems.
If you have a passion for science, technology, and leveraging big data, as well as an outstanding track record, this is the role for you.
The Product Manager of Alerts can work onsite at AccuWeather's office in New York City. Remote candidates are also being considered for this mid-level opportunity.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Define, articulate and champion a vision for weather alerting on AccuWeather’s consumer and business products; both AccuWeather Alerts and Enhanced Alerts (as well as future extensions)
- Define crystal clear, measurable and realistic KPIs for short and long-term results; be comfortable operating in the data and using data to substantiate arguments or positions
- Collaborate with team leads to create a subscription strategy for alerting and notification products
- Produce clear requirements for the development of alerts; PRD would be used by multiple teams involved in a product launch (Design, Development, Analytics, etc..)
- Interact directly with our Forecasting Operations team, and have the ability to understand and discuss meteorological technical requirements in support of the client-facing products
- Optimize for engagement with clear strategies to improve metrics like increased visitation, higher satisfaction and deeper engagement with content offerings
- Manage multiple operations and technology teams to deliver the product as designed; both front-end (e.g. web/apps) as well as back-end tech (e.g. API/locations/databases)
- Manage the development sprints, prioritize product enhancements, while simultaneously crushing technical debt
- Lead ceremonies with stakeholders
- Work hand-in-hand with business development and customers to understand how alerting products support their ecosystem and goals
- Maintain exceptional relationships with key business stakeholders through communication, collaboration and evangelism
- Maintain a deep understanding of consumer behaviors, the competitive landscape and technology trends to inform the strategies for the mobile products
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years' experience in product management & strategy; equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have experience with push notifications, email alerts, or sms alerts
- Must demonstrate experience managing scaled digital products; particularly mobile apps
- Experience in launching or managing subscription products
- Demonstrated business acumen and client-facing experience is a must
- Experience with analytical tools such as Omniture or Google Analytics; understanding of implementation and use
- Experience working within the Scrum framework and familiarity with cutting edge product management tools
- Ability to write detailed JIRA tickets in order to help developers understand the work that is needed
- Understanding of how you are to translate complex datasets into intuitive product experiences
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with teams of all levels and backgrounds problems.
- Highly creative, with ability to work within practical boundaries
- Flexibility and adaptability to rapidly changing environment
- Remote candidates in Canada and the United States are being considered for this opportunity
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI and WY.
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.