Who We Need & What You'll Do
AccuWeather is seeking a highly motivated leader with excellent strategic, operational, entrepreneurial, and interpersonal skills and superior expertise in mobile applications and platforms to join the Technology leadership team as a Director of Mobile Development. We are looking for someone who likes to experiment, innovate, and engineer breakthrough customer experiences, bring simplicity to software engineering, and drive quality throughout the organization.
As the Director of Mobile Development, you'll lead and influence a high performing development team to consistently deliver complex mobile app, along with wearable and advertising platforms. You will also drive innovation, cutting-edge technologies, and world-class quality into AccuWeather's products. We are looking for someone who is technically strong, energetic, highly collaborative, and passionate about software architecture, design and implementation, AccuWeather's products, and our customers.
Remote candidates are being considered for this exciting opportunity.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Lead, manage, and grow multiple teams of product focused software engineers
- Collaborate with Product, Technology, and Design to deliver innovative experiences
- Define, implement, and continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work across Agile teams to develop, test, implement, and support full stack technical solutions
- Drive performance, availability, resilience, and scalability into flagship product offerings
- Experiment with and learn new technologies and stays on top of technology trends
- Encourage diversity, innovation, outside-the-box thinking, collaboration, and self-organization
- Collaborate with other leaders and peers to define, execute, and drive strategies and roadmaps
- Work with external vendors in defining and developing initiatives that support AccuWeather’s business and technology needs
- Contributes to the development of an operating plan and budget
- Mentors and guides the professional and technical development of engineers on your team
- Coaches team members to progress career goals and personal development goals
- Attracts and retains diverse, high performing, software engineering leaders and individuals
- Participate in internal and external technology communities and mentor members of the engineering community
- BS/BA in related discipline with 8 or more years of experience and 5 or more years of management experience
- History of technical and organizational leadership
- Ability to lead and work within geographically distributed engineering teams
- Advocate for software engineering and testing processes and concepts
- Advocate for Agile, DevOps, Automation, and CI/CD processes and concepts
- Understanding of and experience with global, large scale, distributed platforms
- Understanding of and experience with mobile distribution platforms (Google, Apple, Amazon, along with caching strategies (Akamai)
- Experience integrating with pre-bid and ad platforms and SDK’s
- Experience with performance engineering and monitoring, logging, and analytics tools
- Proficient in Swift, Kotlin, Java, Objective-C, or similar
- Experience leading teams of 10 or more software engineers
- Experience managing contracting vendors and consultants
- Self-driven with excellent problem-solving, collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.