AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features available free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the patented AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
AccuWeather is looking for a Digital Journalist to join our team! We are looking for someone who is a creative thinker and constantly thinking outside the box. Our Digital Journalists also immerse themselves in the generation of unique, compelling story and video ideas. They research news stories and interview internal and external experts and excel at writing news stories under pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
It is preferred that our Digital Journalist will work from AccuWeather's Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania. However, remote candidates are being considered.
- Participate in generation of unique, compelling weather-related story ideas.
- Follow trending topics on social networking, including Google, Twitter and Facebook for story ideas and headlines that optimize AccuWeather.com’s reach in search engine optimization.
- Write accurate stories that are well researched and attributed to necessary sources and update as necessary.
- Interview proper sources to enhance story content.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and weather situations, contributing to the news team's coverage of the event.
- Creatively use social media to send out breaking/interesting weather information and links to AccuWeather.com news stories.
- Editing and packaging of forecast and feature stories.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a related communications field with 2-3 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated journalism/media/social media experience.
- Demonstrated writing skills and excellent knowledge of AP style.
- Must have knowledge and experience using Facebook and Twitter and emerging social media platforms.
- Ability to develop an understanding of basic scientific and meteorological concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, as well as being self-motivated and team-oriented.
- Excellent communication skills and be proactive in seeking out interviews to enhance story content.
- Good visual eye and basic photo editing skills.
- Available to work early morning, evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.