AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
Meteorologists work daily to save lives and property, which is at the forefront of AccuWeather’s Mission Statement, across the United States and globe. Our meteorologists create and effectively communicate impact-driven forecasts for all weather phenomena to add value to our Digital Forecast System and finalizing various products for media partners in radio, television and newspaper industries, as well as the general public, schools, transportation departments and a variety of other clients. The team creates hurricane forecast tracks and impacts specifically tailored to clients as well as snowfall prediction maps and customized forecasts and warnings. They also identify areas of concern for severe weather, flash flooding and other hazardous weather. By using a consensus forecast approach, all team members from interns and early-career professional forecasters to senior meteorologists lend their knowledge to achieve forecasts with Superior Accuracy™.
The Meteorologist will join the AccuWeather forecasting team at our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, early in the summer of 2021. As you learn, grow and thrive, career advancement opportunities may include being designated as a Shift Coordinator or other leadership positions.
- Prepare specialized impact-driven weather forecasts and products for our customers or users. These include, but are not limited to, traditional media customers (radio, TV stations, newspapers), business-to-business customers, internal customers, or the creation of digital media products.
- Justify and explain weather predictions to colleagues and engage in a dialogue with them to reach a consensus agreement on any differing predictions.
- Regularly synthesize complex weather scenarios into easy-to-understand verbal and written forecasts and briefings.
- Monitor and analyze new weather data as it becomes available and determine whether a change in weather forecasts is warranted. Discuss with colleagues to formulate a revised consensus based upon best professional judgement, revise forecasts and products for customers as appropriate, and communicate any revisions to customers.
- Special duties and responsibilities may include quality assurance, specifying or implementing efficiency measures, customer support, scheduling, research and development, or other areas.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field of meteorology and apply new tools and ideas to everyday forecasting processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in meteorology or atmospheric sciences from a four-year college or university, or equivalent education and experience (completed by May 2021)
- Must have or qualify for professional membership in the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association
- Demonstrated superior skill in weather forecasting and job performance in multiple forecast areas
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to read, understand, analyze and utilize the complete array of available weather data
- Proven verbal and written communication skills, including excellent collaboration in team environments
- Must be available to work overnights, evenings, weekends and holidays.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.