AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business Solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
AccuWeather is looking for a Digital Journalist Intern to join our team! We are looking for a creative thinker who is constantly thinking outside the box and excels at writing news stories under the pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Digital Journalist interns immerse themselves in the generation of unique and compelling story and video ideas and enjoy researching news stories and interviewing internal and external experts.
This paid internship is available for 10-20 hours per week during Summer 2020 and is based out of our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania.
- Participate in generation of unique, compelling weather-related story ideas.
- Follow trending topics on social networking, including Google, Twitter and Facebook for story ideas and headlines that optimize AccuWeather.com’s reach in search engine optimization.
- Write accurate stories that are well researched and attributed to necessary sources and update as necessary.
- Interview proper sources to enhance story content.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and weather situations, contributing to the news team's coverage of the event.
- Creatively use social media to send out breaking/interesting weather information and links to AccuWeather.com news stories.
- Editing and packaging of forecast and feature stories.
- Student majoring in Journalism or a related communications
- Demonstrated journalism/media/social media experience.
- Must have strong writing skills and excellent knowledge of AP style.
- Must have knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter (experience using Hootsuite is preferred) and emerging social media platforms.
- Must be able to develop an understanding of basic scientific and meteorological concepts.
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be proactive in seeking out interviews to enhance story content.
- Basic digital video editing skills are preferred.
- Good visual eye and basic photo editing skills.
- Sense of urgency. You act with the realization that efficiency is vital to success.
- A team player. You have the ability to consistently build and maintain strong working relationships with your direct teammates as well as co-workers throughout AccuWeather.
- Communication. You have the ability to exchange information, both verbal and non-verbal, to anyone. You have solid speaking and writing skills. Your communication style ensures that all the organizational goals are achieved.
- Passion. You have a strong excitement and love for journalism. You pride yourself on being efficient at your job.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.