AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business Solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
Reporting to the Closed Captioning Supervisor, the Closed Captioning Specialist is responsible for creating the closed captioning for pre-recorded videos used on the AccuWeather Television Network and AccuWeather.com. Closed Captioning is a part of our 24/7 Network Operations. This position will work out of our Global Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania. Due to the nature of captioning the live broadcasting, remote work is unavailable within this role. This is a full-time position that will work shifts normally, but not limited to, between the hours of 4:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m.
- Caption pre-recorded and live videos provided by the studio production team
- Monitor captions from Network, and ensure accuracy
- Create glossary in text expander using captioning software
- Meet strict turnaround times
- Other duties as assigned
- 1-2 year(s) experience with offline captioning in a broadcast setting and editing experience preferred
- Strong typing skill with a WPM speed of 70 or greater required
- Minimum of a high school diploma required, bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Ability to sit and focus for extended periods of time while captioning & monitoring incoming videos
- Strong command of the English language
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple daily deadlines
- Ability to work on-site at our headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania
- Flexibility with working varying shifts; First, Second and Third shift coverage for our 24/7 network operations
- Strong communication skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.