AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business Solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Barons Specialist is the “company Baron Lynx expert”, answering all questions related to the Baron Lynx network of computers plus any other weather graphics on the AccuWeather Network and on AccuWeather.com digital videos.
- Mentor and train weather graphic producers in creating captivating on-air weather graphics
- Train new production team members on creating and designing weather graphics and operation the Baron Lynx weather graphic machines.
- Train new broadcast meteorologists to confidently use and navigate Baron Lynx to create and stack shows for live weather reports
- Using graphic tools provided, design and invent new, breakthrough broadcast weather graphics for AccuWeather products, clients, and partners that captivates viewers and better communicates weather risks.
- Respond to and troubleshoot all technical difficulties involved with Baron Lynx
- Oversee the maintenance of the weather graphics computer network in conjunction with the Video Engineering team
- Synchronize with various departments at AccuWeather to maintain and advance the integration of Baron Lynx data and software with other AccuWeather products and services.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with Baron Weather
- Represent the company respectfully at any conference(s) required of you, adhering to all AccuWeather policies and expectations
- Work with AccuWeather Meteorologists, broadcasters and producers to prepare accurate on-camera video weather forecasts either live or taped with AccuWeather’s consensus forecast.
- Generate daily content under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work in the fast-paced and demanding environment of live television.
- Adhere to all department policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A four-year degree in Meteorology – or equivalent – is expected; however, a degree in Graphic Design with strong experience of three to five years in the weather production field will be considered. Minimum three years full-time experience in weather graphics production in a multi-platform, live news environment.
- Exceptional understanding and mastery of Baron Lynx is required.
- Must be a strategic thinker, reliable mentor, and team player with a burning passion for weather communication.
- Able to train employees
- Must have strong project management skills and experience.
- Previous experience with computer coding language (such as Python, HTML) is a plus
- Ability to effectively communicate in the broadcast style is required.
- Superior Customer Service skills are required.
- Windows and MAC operating systems knowledge is required.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required for this role.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays and overnights if needed to fill in.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.