AccuWeather’s team members are the heart of our success. As we enter new markets and expand geographically, the Journalist position will have a significant impact on our success in carrying out our mission to ‘save lives, protect property, and help people prosper.’ The Journalist at AccuWeather will be responsible for creating a voice for AccuWeather that extends beyond simply weather news; but speaks to the significance and impact of the weather on financial and economic, travel, agriculture, destruction losses to equipment and people, and health. The role will be focused on getting the AccuWeather brand extended into a much larger context and into new areas that build on our Superior Accuracy and knowledge of how weather impacts the world. The purpose is to ultimately drive traffic to our digital sites.
Make AccuWeather the weather authority and go-to resource for news outlets for information. This individual must be an expert in all things related to content and have a significant network to tap into for access and distribution of stories. Responsible for creating unique content that will help establish AccuWeather as the global weather authority and the go-to weather source for authentic and unique insights regarding the weather, hazardous and severe weather events, and unique weather stories.
The position collaborates with the Founder and the Executive Editor to create the best and most engaging content appropriate for the platforms of AccuWeather including digital (desk, MW and mobile), TV network, radio, and to news outlets across the world. Success is first measured by getting these stories placed and secondly by how much traffic it drives to our digital platforms.
The Journalist to drive and grow new editorial storytelling. This includes:
- This role creates news instead of just reacting to the news – has a much broader perspective of the impact of weather – can write about the financial, global, health, sports.
- Works closely with founder on story ideation - learning the voice and style of AccuWeather
- This role creates a broader perspective of AccuWeather’s place in the news cycle
- Brings a rolodex of contacts to reach out to and to pitch stories
- Works with news desk to help ensure coverage and distribution beyond the AccuWeather properties
- Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person
- Development of a content calendar throughout year based on news cycles - Hurricane season, winter weather, flu season, etc. Build story ideas and schedules to cover the weather news more globally.
- Leveraging market data to develop content themes/topics and execute a plan to develop the assets that support a point of view and educate customers that leads to critical behavioral metrics.
- Conducting periodic competitive audits.
- Creation of a strategy for developing outreach for content partnerships as needed.
This Journalist is measured on the scope of news and information that gets deployed across the media landscape. Must create storytelling, as well as the increase in number of new customers into the enterprise through the consistent development and deployment of news-breaking content. Success criteria include:
- Positive brand recognition and consistency across chosen published channels.
- An increase in AccuWeather citations and recognition in the news media
- Becomes the go to source for weather related news
- Increases customer engagement metrics (measured by users taking the desired action…i.e. conversions, subscription, purchase, etc.).
- Website and social media traffic growth.
- Customer feedback and survey data.
- Increases in key search engine keyword rankings.
Primary criteria for success are customer and readers on the AccuWeather and across all media channels. Success is measured around lifetime customer value, and customer satisfaction
Experience and Education Required
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Masters in journalism required.
- 10-15 years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel digital content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Audience development and subscription strategies experience a plus.
The Journalist requires a combination marketing and publishing mindset, with the most important aspect being to think “customer first”. In essence, the role is AccuWeather storyteller with an understanding of how to extend the breadth of the brand into the voice of the media conscience
- Proven superior editorial skills. Outstanding command of the English language.
- Training as a journalist and has a “nose” for the story. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience (it is critical that this Journalist retain an “outsider’s perspective”).
- Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- A passion for new technology tools (aka, using the tools you preach about) and usage of those tools within your own blogs and social media outreach. Social DNA a plus!
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Leadership skills required to define and manage a set of goals involving diverse contributors and content types
- Incredible people skills.
- A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
- Great powers of persuasion and presentation (Visio, PowerPoint)
- Needs to be continually learning the latest platforms, technology tools and marketing solutions through partnerships.
- Comfortable with acting as the company's spokesman and advocate via media appearances, interviews, sales calls, trade shows, etc.
- A large rolodex of contacts in the media space - able to source story ideas and to source distribution of those ideas.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.