AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, smart TVs and appliances, as well as traditional media. AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites, including wallstreetjournal.com, CBS News, and The New York Times. AccuWeather is looking for an Intern, Multimedia Journalist to join our team! This position will work out of our Headquarters office in State College, PA.
Who You Are
AccuWeather is looking for a Multimedia Journalist Intern to join our team for the 2018 Fall semester. Our company is a global digital media company reaching over 1.5 Billion people every day. As a Multimedia Journalist Intern, you will grow your skills and build your resume while gaining invaluable experience in the areas of Multimedia Journalism. This paid internship is up to 30 hours per week. The Multimedia Journalist for AccuWeather writes news stories with a weather angle, under deadline pressure. Multimedia Journalist Interns work alongside the news staff and will end the Internship with a portfolio of published news articles. They will be expected to research news stories, interview internal and external experts. The internship will run from August to December.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Participate in generation of unique, compelling weather-related story ideas.
- Write accurate stories that are well researched and attributed to necessary sources and update as necessary.
- Interview proper sources to enhance story content.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and weather situations, contributing to the news team's coverage of the event.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience We Are Looking For
- Working towards a degree in Journalism or a related communications field required
- Demonstrated interest in journalism/media/social media.
- Skilled in non-linear video editing preferred.
- Evidence of multimedia reporting experience ideal.
- Must have strong writing skills.
- Knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter (experience using HootSuites preferred) and emerging social media platforms.
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be proactive in seeking out interviews to enhance story content.
- Proficiency in writing and speaking Spanish is a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.