AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, smart TVs and appliances, as well as traditional media. AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites, including wallstreetjournal.com, CBS News, and The New York Times. AccuWeather is looking for a Weather News Reporter to join our team! This position will work out of our Headquarters office in State College, PA.
Who You Are
The Weather News Reporter will produce innovative, unique stories. Those stories will frequently be reported from locations where severe weather is occurring, live in the field, for all AccuWeather properties, including the AccuWeather Television Network.
What You Will Be Doing
- Generate news stories based on the weather.
- Pitch ideas and their implementation strategies to editors and producers.
- Arrange interviews with individuals and agencies in a bid to gather information for news items.
- Write scripts, prepare and present news reports under deadline pressure
- Travel to the location of weather news stories.
- Present live and recorded reports on breaking weather news stories
- Exercise strong editorial judgment and adhere to company’s standards and practices
- Demonstrate teamwork by working cooperatively with videographers, producers and other team members.
- Ability to work (when required) as a multimedia journalist, using video cameras and video editing equipment independently.
- Contribute to company’s social media platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience We Are Looking For
- BA or BS from accredited university in journalism, communications or meteorology preferred
- Minimum of 4 years as a field reporter/anchor
- Extensive live reporting experience
- Ability to work within a team
- Demonstrated ability to shoot and edit video
- Understanding of basic meteorology
- Basic Windows and MAC operating systems usage is required
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.