Develops new technology, products, materials, processes, or equipment with minimal supervision. Independently, or as a member of a team, develops, directs, and executes plans for a major segment of complex projects. Compiles and analyzes operational, test, and research data to establish technical specifications for designing or modifying products, processes, and materials. A successful candidate will have expertise in Plastics and Polymers to provide technical support in the area of materials science and process engineering. This includes materials selection, problem-solving, and applied research. This is a unique opportunity to work on a novel material and application that requires adaption of melt extrusion processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze, research, design and develop materials and their related fabrication and application processes to develop and optimize materials for use in engineering design of and/or application in structures, systems and subsystems.
- Apply principles of chemistry, physics, and material behavior to develop metallic, non-metallic and composite material and processing specifications, fabrication and assembly processes.
- Develop, analyze and apply material properties and design requirements, processing processes and quality engineering specifications.
- Material analyses may include failure analysis of components, systems and subsystems, life predictions, and definition and requirement specifications.
- May review and approve subcontractor material processing procedures.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Plastics or Polymer Science, or a related Engineering discipline is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with 0 years of experience.
- May require practical knowledge and demonstrated competence within job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Process engineering experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
- Medical device experience is preferred
- Ability to respond to changing priorities and to multi-task, in a dynamic environment
- Basic understanding of quality systems and design control.
- Working knowledge of a cleanroom environment and a willingness to work in a laboratory environment is required.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and prioritization skills to successfully complete a wide variety of complex job duties and responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Work in a team environment is required. Previous work in a start-up environment is a preferred.
- Hands-on work/understanding of extrusion theory and practice is required
- CAD (SolidWorks) is a plus
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, talk, hear and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Mechanical skills, including the ability to manipulate common hand tools, is required.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
About Access Vascular
Access Vascular was founded in 2015 to address the most common and costly complications of intravenous therapy: infection, thrombosis and phlebitis. The company is developing a suite of venous access devices made from patented biomaterials which are highly biocompatible and are capable of long-term thrombus resistance and infection protection.