A/B is a digital storytelling studio based in NYC creating new narratives about people, power, and social change to transform our politics and the economy. Our team is racially and gender diverse at every level, from entry level to ownership; we are bringing the best-in-class creative strategies usually reserved for the private sector side by side with deep experience in social movements and ventures; and we are building a team that can help a new generation of leaders win the debate on their terms.
This role will be a member of our Media and Campaigns team and report into the Head of Media and Campaigns. Grounded in research, informed by movement building and driven by creativity, the Media and Campaigns team at A/B brings sector expertise across earned, owned, paid media fields together. Equity is at the heart of the team, reflected in our team of communications leaders who turn insightful and bold campaigns into award-winning strategies that reaches, moves and inspires at scale.
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial Director of Paid Media to lead engagements that grow the impact and influence of our social justice projects across a range of online and social channels. The Director of Paid Media proactively consumes media online and believes in the power of digital to shift people’s behavior and values to address enduring and emerging social problems. They will work with an interdisciplinary team of communicators and strategists to deliver work that is consistently creative, strategic and wins real victories.
Campaign Planning, Management and Execution
- Manages the strategy for all paid media programs, including audience definition, budgeting, targeting and resource allocation of creative and media strategy.
- Work closely with the head of research and team to develop the necessary polling and analysis insights for campaign development and optimization.
- Maintain operational and programmatic budgets and work with the head of media and campaigns to communicate cash flow needs on a regular basis.
- Stay up-to-date on the changing media landscape, and work alongside the head of media and campaigns to maintain A–B’s role as a thought leader in the digital media space.
- Lead brainstorming and planning for campaign testing.
- Manage our relationship with relevant vendors and consultants as relevant for the execution of paid programs.
- Manage our relationship with partner organizations via joint media buys to ensure all stages run smoothly.
- Be a complete partner with the Design Lab teams as we develop and elevate issues, brands, and campaigns across channels. You will work collaboratively with senior-level planning, design, and amplification teams.
- Tell persuasive, creative stories that capture the challenges and opportunities for a client and the insights that drive the work.
Campaign Quality Assurance
- Creates and implements quality assurance plan for launching campaigns that includes fact-check, editorial, branding, and trafficking checks.
- Work with the campaign executive director to streamline strategic, editorial and fact-checking review of all outgoing content.
- Work with the communications director and campaign executive director to ensure all programs are framed appropriately for funders and the press.
- 6+ years of experience in building and managing fast-paced digital advertising campaigns
- Knowledge of standard and rich media ad trafficking software for display, video, mobile and other emerging channels, and the ability to make recommendations that align with the overall goals, objectives and budget and time constraints.
- Experiencing collaborating and managing media consultants, polling vendors and analysts.
- A strong ability to adapt polling insights into comprehensive political and advocacy messaging and media plan
- Experience managing an operational and programmatic budget.
- 1-2 years of experience managing, training and recruiting junior staff, and a grasp of equitable tools for management.
- 1-2 cycles of experiencing with issue or candidate-based political campaigns or organizations, and at least one cycle managing persuasion and mobilization media programs
- Effective project and time-management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Trustworthy and credible; high level of integrity and excellent sense of judgment
- Results-oriented, self-directed, inquisitive and entrepreneurial-minded
- Ability to quickly adjust to unforeseen changes in priorities and workload, and to exercise good judgment in complex situations.
- Outstanding communication skills. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Much of our work depends on responsiveness, timely communication, and detailing the next steps with our partners with clarity and concision.
- Goal-oriented. Our work entails a combination of entrepreneurial creativity and straightforward execution. To maintain continual progress, we collaboratively set and check weekly goals.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to working in diverse teams and committed to creating an equitable and just world for Black and Brown people.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry. Women, people of color, LGBTI people, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.