What you’ll do
In a few words…
Being a Database Administrator is no small feat and being a “Senior” Database Administrator is an undoubtedly demanding job, but you’ll be highly valued and trusted across the board, becoming a sort of data superhero in everyone’s eyes, and that (among other fun things) makes it worthwhile. As our valued Senior Database Administrator (SDBA) you will be responsible for the performance, integrity and security of our knowledge base. You will also be involved in the planning and development of the database as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of users. Sounds simple enough, right?
The fundamentals for the job…
- You, in your amazing role, will make sure that databases have the following qualities: o data remains consistent throughout database; o data is clearly defined o users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs o there’s a provision for data security and recovery control (all data is retrievable in an emergency)
- You will establish the needs of users and monitor user access and security.
- Monitor performance and manage parameters to provide fast response to front-end users.
- Map out the conceptual design for a planned database.
- Consider both, back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users.
- Refine the logical design so it can be translated into a specific data model.
- Further refine the physical design to meet system storage requirements.
- Install and test new versions of the DBMS.
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the applicable regulation such as HIPAA.
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata).
- Control access permissions and privileges.
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans.
- Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly.
- Capacity planning.
- Work closely with Infrastructure Analysts and Developers.
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
- Extra points for you if you resemble Brent Spinner’s famous android character (it’s a joke, sheesh!).
- All Supervisors are responsible for complying and making sure their supervised staff complies with all Information Security Policies as well as Awareness and Training Programs in order to ensure the protection of all confidential information at all times. Supervisors must ensure all Security best practices are followed at all times with particular emphasis in the secure transmission of confidential information, the protection of all sensitive applications usernames and passwords as well as following a Clean Desk Policy at all times in order to protect all physical sensitive information as well.
What you’re made of
The bold requirements…
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Technology, or related field. (In lieu of a degree, equivalent relevant work experience may be considered.)
- 4 to 5 years of experience in IT Operations or Computer Engineering field, and 3 years of experience in Database Administration (preferred).
- Technical knowledge of Network troubleshooting, Microsoft Active Directory, structured query language (SQL), relational database management systems, customer service oriented, and strong critical and analytical thinking.
- Ability to work well in a fast paced environment, where the technology is constantly changing.
- Computer proficiency (it’s kind of silly to include this but just to be sure).
- You can communicate effectively (read, write, speak, daydream, argue, flatter, add, subtract, etc.) in English and Spanish.
That something extra we´d love to see…
- Analytical: You value the power of context & enjoy examining the past. You get the present by analyzing (sometimes over-analyzing) events leading up to it. This methodology is super helpful but can provoke analysis-fatigue in those within earshot. Good thing you’re aware of this.
- Team player: You are detail-oriented to the nth degree, but you also manage to see the big picture. An easy to relate to individual who gets a deep satisfaction from working hard with others to achieve any goal.
- Logical: You are relentless in the search for reasons and causes and effects. Unencumbered by excessive sentimentality, you are able to think about all the factors that might affect a situation.
- Focused: You take direction, follow through, and make the necessary corrections to stay on track. Prioritize, and then act. You are like a super soldier or an average termite: focus super powers. Most of us spread our focus on too many things and that’s to our detriment.
- Fixer / Solution seeker: You are like an action figure brought to life; it’s hard for you to give up, even when it’s obvious you are barking up the wrong tree. You like to provide comprehensive solutions, considering both, internal and external needs; you follow the mantra of always being part of the solution (not the precipitate). Those who precipitate, you’ve learned, repent at leisure.
The above description is not intended to limit the scope of the job or to exclude other duties not mentioned. It is absolutely not a final set of specifications for the position. It’s simply meant to give readers an idea of what the role entails.
Abarca Health LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.